Big Game

Guest allibee

Guest allibee

Hi people, need some advice please

Altho my usual quarry resides in lakes generally, I have finally got it all together for a long dreamed of big game fishing trip to ...?

Dunno. That is the problem!

First it was, and still high on the list, is the Maldives. But now Fiji and Vanuatu have crept onto the scene with their kilometre drops 80 metres off the beach. Blue Marlin are usually to be found between November and March, hitting the scales between 400 - 800lb.

Well, that will do me! But it is that bit further away and for a woman going on her own a bit worrying as opposed to say a more 'civilised' tour company trip ti the Maldives.

Basically I want it all, LOL

Desert Island seclusion with all mod cons and a very real chance of a BIG game fish. This is going to set me back a lot of money so if I can only get out once or twice in the fortnight, I really want it to count - dreams come true and all that.

I am aware that, going alone, I will probably have to plan on paying the whole boat/crew hire myself, sadly - but as needs must!

Anyway, if you guys - and girls - have any recommendations on destinations I would be most appreciative. Looking at going this month.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you'll not have any problem getting someone to carry your tackle.

For someone who is into Pink, well what can I say, your designs show you know something about attracting the eye to fishing.

The other side of the world, well I've never been able to cast that far, draws us all and when you do take off I wish you Tight Lines.

Looking foward to seeing your designs, inspirations from the Indian Oceans and maybe further

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

allibee:

I think your best bet would be to email Vagabond and Norma, they go all over the world doing all types of fishing including big game.

Its a pity it is this month that you want to go as I have a lot going on and could have shared the boat hire etc :)

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

I am supposed to be off to Kenya for a wedding in January, and the big game fishing from there looks pretty good, as well as having the family thing.

Costs seem to be about £700 for a week or so, all inclusive, plus boats varying in price dependant on negotiation skills!!

B.A.S.S. member

Guest allibee

Thanks guys

Doesn't *have* to be November - just feel the need to go ASAP, LOL

Mauritius, yes, certainly thought about that - even though it is possibly the most expensive of the Indian Ocean islands ... wonder if they mind carp bivvies ?

As far as Maldives go, there seems to be less big game fishing but an abundance of reef fishing and resorts having their own Dhoni's for the night or sunrise trips. Set up wise - not sure what you mean but there ARE game fishing charter boats, not cheap, nothing in the Maldives is (£2.20 for a beer, £5.50 for a burger!!!) but the all inclusive deals are certainly value for money. Most islands have their own lagoons with a steep drop off on the outer atolls, but if you have a non fishing partner then there are

many opportunities for them to either become a castaway on their own stretch of beach or join in more active water sports. The choices are simplistic/rustic to satelite TV with internet access and the whole spectrum inbetween

Cheers John E - although the desert island atmosphere will undoubtedly inspire (how could it not?), writing is actually at the top of my agenda for the trip, creatively speaking. Have an overdue appointment with MS Word :)

As I say, Fiji and Vanuatu etc are quite high on my list, with a few other Sth. Pacific hotspots, and are very reasonably priced charterwise, although some of the craft ARE traditonal canoes with outriggers (row, you bugger ) or little 10ft steel hull jobbies! Yes, can really see us keeping up - or afloat - against a 1000lb blue marlin in that!

Not sure I'm ready to go too native, LOL

Don't forget Outer Banks North Carolina. Great fishing inshore and offshore, can share boats etc. Do a web search on fishing around Oregon Inlet, loads of good sites.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Can highly recommend Turtle Bay at Watamu in Kenya. I've had several trips and whilst its not really a desert island, it is 14 miles from the nearest town (Malindi) and 70 miles north of Mombasa. Fishing is as good as you're going to get on the East Africa coast. Best place to stay is Hemingways, they also have the best boats. November is a little early for the first run of black marlin but the sailfishing off Malindi is fantastic at this time of year. Also got more than their fair share of wahoo, spanish mackerel, schoolie bluefins and barracuda.

A good chance of a tiger shark too. lovely place to stay, sunday night is curry night after a trad. british sunday lunch. The Pemba Channel Fishing Club down on the border with Tanzania is a little more isolated but the fishing is just as good. Lamu Island in the north is even more isolated but the fishing is less well organised. You can always break the trip with a few days up country at Tsavo National Park or on the Mara river. Just be prepared for the place to grow on you.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

allibee:

Anyway, if you guys - and girls - have any recommendations on destinations I would be most appreciative. Looking at going this month.

:cool: Try Ascension Island, still untapped but a couple of big game boats have moved in from Africa, $1,000 a day but price negotiable as if they haven't a booking they won't get one until the next plane in six days. Still the local boats available but increased prices to £60 for a 5 hour trip for 4 anglers, all inclusive. Good fun and cheap for everything. I'm thinking of going there for Christmas. 8 hour flight, GMT so no jet lag. Take a beach rod and some squid, superb shore fishing, I had everything from 15lb Atlantic Jacks to 150lb+ shark. Take a cool box to bring back your allowance of fish, £10 export licence req'd, UK driving licence OK for car hire, no injections or malaria tablets required, just usual UK jabs, holiday insurance compulsorary. Any question contact me, get a group and I'll see what I can arrange.

there is definately some amazing fishing off ascension, i stopped there on my way to the falklands last year and talking to some of the guys stationed there i was wishing my rod wasn't stuck in the hold of the tristar on the tarmac!