Worms in Cod

bigdunny

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought worms were more common in older fish, where they have had time to establish their parasitic little community. Also more common in bottom grubbing fish like cod.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

It is only recentley, last couple of years, that we have been experencing worms in the flesh of cod on the East coast, when I fished the West coast about 18 years ago all the cod we caught were riddled with worms.

I was talking to a Whitby skipper a few weeks back and he mentioned exactly the same thing.

I noticed one in a bass fillet the other day, which was a first for me.

I fish to live and live to fish.

cheers wurzel.......but would you eat the fish ?

it was a bloody sin on my part to bin the cod :(

I have eaten most o gods critters, etc... shooting / fishing but wee worms r another thing !

I fish Whitby and the whiting guts have been full of worms for years and the pink bit of the gut being worst. The cod also have the worms but not as bad. We do find a few in the flesh lok for a dark spot and drag out with the point of a knife. The worst fish I have had for worms were pollack from the Mull of Galoway totaly full both gut and flesh :mad: .

Found a worm in a fish at a safeway/sainsbury cafe complained but told normal in cod and do no harm .

prp

They are ok as long as they dont have the other worms inside them ,the hag fish now they are really horrible ,gill netters sometimes would hall there nets and there would be full of cod but all what would be left was skin and bone these worms would eat the cod inside out, they would enter the fish through there backside and totally eat them inside out the local fisheremen called them devouwers,wurzel may have come across them at some time they can grow to about 12ins long.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg