Do Mackerel die if released?

101_North

The problem is that microscopic damage occurs to a mackerels skin when touched by human hands.

Something to do with the heat of your hands/oil from your skin.

You can see the finger marks as the fish moves away.

Once released, the skin starts to break down and the fish will die in around 30 hours.

I once had a link to some authoritive information on this, but can't find it now :(

The problem is that some anglers are simply unable to stop fishing once they have caught their limit, put on a small spinner and start catch and release fishing without realising that they are dooming those fish.

Accidentally caught fish can be shaken off, and I've been told that Sea Life Centres handle mackerel with wet neoprene gloves.

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

This really freaks me out. One night I caught almost 200 in a couple of hours and returned them all. I might as well have left them on the side in a big pile. Im gonna grind down my barbs and see if that helps so I can shake them off. I really dont think many people know about them dieing. Most people on our pier will just think im being arsey if I tell them.

that is a problem summer, try to tell some of the less open minded anglers something new, and they won't listen. good job threads like this educate people though, i didnt know this myself till i read the original thread mentioned nicks post. i've being trying to spread the word, but a lot of people don't believe or don't want to listen

Guest Flybynight

It is pretty stunning info...we just aren't used to thinking that our returned fish die routinely. Not wanting to sound too skeptical - does anyone have any links to anything scientific and authoritative on this? Not that I've ever caught enough mackerel in fact....but maybe one day?

Cheers

FBN

As Leon says ... you see your finger marks as the fish swims away.

I guess the only good thing about it is that the fish is going back into the eco-system, and hopefully will be gobbelled up by a bigger fish that that you later catch :)

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Easiest way to get them off is with a small t-bar, straight back into the water (or live bait tank if you're keeping them).

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

jabee:

Easiest way to get them off is with a small t-bar, straight back into the water

... yes, and to spell it out for those unfamiliar with T-bars, one hand on the hook link, one hand on the T bar, lift the hook with the bar so hookbend is uppermost, fish falls off.

No need to touch the fish - you can even do it without lifting the fish out of the water. (if you are near enough to the water )

[ 18. July 2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Flybynight:

It is pretty stunning info...we just aren't used to thinking that our returned fish die routinely. Not wanting to sound too skeptical - does anyone have any links to anything scientific and authoritative on this? Not that I've ever caught enough mackerel in fact....but maybe one day?

Cheers

FBN

I was given this information by a CEFAS scientists at an MCS conference on Recreational Angling in Cardiff some time ago.

(I've also had the information from other sources, but mostly heresay)

I've emailed CEFAS asking them to give me some authoritive reference one way or another, and will post here if they come back to me on that.

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I've often wondered how many other fish we release with a good conscience suffer a similar fate.

Why should it just be mackeral :confused:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

quote:

I was given this information by a CEFAS scientists at an MCS conference on Recreational Angling in Cardiff some time ago.

(I've also had the information from other sources, but mostly heresay)

I've emailed CEFAS asking them to give me some authoritive reference one way or another, and will post here if they come back to me on that.

TL - leon

Thanks Leon. I look forward to hopefully getting some firm info on this as this thread has been a bit of an eye opener for me.