A tragic loss

10 brownie points

I don't know if you are aware that at the weekend 5 anglers were drowned just a mile off the Wexford coast here in Ireland.

A tragic loss .......

My condolences to all involved both family and friends.

I was just wondering if anyone new if the boat that sank was a charter boat or not?

It looks as if it was a faulty pump which caused the boat to sink....

It makes you think........ doesn't it....

[ 30 July 2002, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Lewis from Limerick ]

I also heard that the boat was 26feet long and they piled 10 anglers some of whom were children, into it in less than perfect weather conditions, and I did not hear mention of life jackets. Of course we are always distressed to hear of anglers, especially children, drowning, but what could have been done to prevent this? Does history teach nothing?

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Yes a tragic loss for all the families involved. What should have been a pleasant day fishing turned into a nightmare, particularly for one woman who lost a husband, son and her father in tragedy.

Initial reports suggest that no one was wearing lifejackets. And the death toll would have been greater if it wasn’t for the quick reaction of other fishing boats nearby. Visibility was also poor (100 meters or so) and the sea was calm but there was a sizable swell that made conditions difficult. One wonder how different things could have been if all those involved were wearing lifejackets and these deaths could have been avoided. It should be a lesson to all anglers.

But at this stage it is hard to dwell on these points especially when there is so many people grieving for loss of their loved ones.

May they rest in peace.

It really was tragic news. Three generations lost to the sea.

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Conversations I've had indicate that a lot of people would like to don a life-jacket, but don't want to appear silly/chicken/the odd one out, because no one else wears them.

Wearing your life jacket, even when conditions are calm, and no one else is, could unexpectedly your life, and it could save another, on a different day, in different circumstances because they followed your example.

No one ever expects to get wet, but when it happens, it happens fast, and you usually have no time!

Too many lives are lost, and too many boats go down with a cupboard full of life-jackets, because no one is brave enough to set a sensible example!

Tight Lines -leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Lewis from Limerick:

It looks as if it was a faulty pump which caused the boat to sink....

It makes you think........ doesn't it....

I am sorry to hear of the loss of life in pursuit of our sport.

I am not trying to be smart here but talking from experience. Steel boats can only hold so much water and then they go down FAST. Electric pumps get blocked with all the bits of trash people drop in the boat, cigaret buts, nylon, bits of bait and fish etc. It pays to put the pump in a fishnet stocking as the first filter and not relly on the built in filter. All licenced UK charter boats are required by law to have at least one manual hand operated bilge pump.

Before you go on a charter boat make sure he is FULLY licenced.

One more thing, I nearly lost a boat when I was in Brixhan, the engine siezed on me with an on shore wind, the reason was simple, a polystyrene cup fitted perfectly into the engine water intake :mad:

Lewis, can you keep us informed on this tragic topic, I and possibly others may learn from it and it may help to save a life.

Sad

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

we had a great engine on paper ,it was a 4stroke outboard (honda) no problems with water etc unfortunatly it was coupled to a 1960`s Ocean 8 design gearbox and prop ,3 times we used it ,the first time it sheared off a drive pin in pompey harbour (we were towed back to the slip by the harbour police)

remember this was a brandnew engine :mad:

after returning it and waiting 2 months for its return we tried again.

the same fault happend again just outside the entrance to the harbour VERY swift changing of outboards took place and it was swopped for a johnson 40 (very thirsty but relieable)

again it was sent away (very expensive)it came back 4 months later with assurances about the pin being "better"

the third time it got to Nab but broke down on the way back.

looking into the background of the engine we had a few shocks ,in the 1960`s it had a write up in practicle boat owner or somewhere (cant remember exactly) it was the powered by a tecumsa engine (american) the write up was very good especially it being air cooled.

our one cost £800 with electric start ,charger and remote controll fittings (not supplied) very reasonable for an 8hp engine ,unfortunatly the chap that sold them seemed (as far as we could make out) operated from a greenhouse in a garden centre in devon? ,the engine was great being a honda (it used 2ltrs of petrol compared to 2.5 gallons for the johnson at the same speed ,it was a sailing boat so couldnt be "pushed" unfortunatly it was tethered to an old design and fault ridden shaft)

even brand new stuff is fallible ,what other junk do we trust our lives on :( we also after selling the boat tried out the flares and smoke canisters ,only 1 of each worked =50% they were still double wrapped and in date) :mad:

[ 30 July 2002, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My friend in Zimbabwe, an extremely experienced and safety conscious boater & angler, drowned because he wasn't wearing a life jacket. He moved the life jackets when he was packing his bass boat before leaving home and forgot to put them back on the boat. When he got to his destination lake he realised he didn't have them but rather than lose half a day driving back to get them decided to just stay close to the launch ramp. Unfortunately a sudden squall and waves flipped the boat knocking him unconscious as it went over and he drowned. His young son was rescued at the last moment by another boat that saw it happen but they were too late to rescue Kevin before he died. If this can happen to someone of his experience then I figure that a boat novice such as myself is almost certainly better of with a life jacket than without, no matter what other people may think of me!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Yes Alan, when I hear the outcome into the investigation I will let you know its findings.

Yep how many time have we been out and the skipper lets you know that there are life jackets stowed away over there somewhere and nobody even goes to look to see where they are.

We are due to go out of Ballycotton on the 10th of Aug, it will interesting to see the attitude of both the skipper and the lads fishing this time around. I would like to think it might have some positive effect.

www.marine.gov.ie/

[ 31 July 2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Lewis from Limerick ]

Why don`t we all buy our own lifejackets?

They don`t cost that much, and are miniscule compared to many peoples vision of them?

I hate reading about anglers who thought they`d be safe. If you can`t swim to the shore get a life jacket!! If you think you can? You can`t!!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!