Elton, Norrie bought a boat!!!!!!!

Guest NickInTheNorth

thanks for the input guys. I would rather get a shortie to be honest, but the price of them seems to be a bit higher than the normal hunters, just a grand too much usually! Ill keep my ear to the ground, if anyone hears of one coming up for sale Id be most grateful for a whisper... See a couple of you next thursday I hope.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HiDaniel, Yes, thats a Shortie....when you are over next week, you can have a look over mine,,,size it up so to speak....then decide if its the size you want...I would agree about the deck space being more..... :D:D

Re the GPS chaps...its off to Faslane very soon to get checked out....I know a man who can :D:D but shh...its top secret... .

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

tack4:

sorry you workin mate woul've been good to see you down this neck of the woods one day thoug and how's my name sake these days getting big i should imagine ang up to no good crawling about

Andrew, Yep, I'm sick as well...was really looking forward to it....we Andrew is doing great...not quite crawling yet, rolling more like...but put him in his walker...and he's off..... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

one of these days norrie

use some of your rope to reign mih in a bit :D:D

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Nice boat Sateve, they how old do you think she is?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Hi Norrie,

what I meant by my comment the other evening is that gut feeling and a little knowledge of boats makes me suspect 47/49knots would not be possible and indeed something could be going wrong with the gps, but others seemed to assume that I was calling you a liar and generally trying to publicly disprove you for my own satisfaction.

My 'Shame' comment was because its a very interesting thread for a boaty and various formulas and tests can be used by anyone reading for a variety of purposes. eg. finding out how much there boat weighs without having to weigh it.

Indeed you have a super little boat and are well happy with it, so whether it does 10mph or 100mph would not change anything but if I where to post up a catch report saying I was catching plenty of fish on the River Blackwater on a three hook flapper at 250 yards, I suspect I would get torn to bits within minutes no matter how innocent or indeed accurate that figure was.

From a safety point of view, although unlikely it is possible that accurately knowing your boats speed could crucial on a long distance trip if circumstances became difficult and for anyone visiting the forum with an identical or very similar boat, an accurate figure will tell them whether their boat is performing well or has a underlying fault giving poor performance that needs urgent attention.

Partly in response to NickinTheNorths wishes and also wanting to contribute to an interesting forum I'll post up my specs and figures.

Having time to look over the facts and figures I would actually guess your boat to weigh in the region of 1500lbs+ with you and a guest on board.

The Seahog Shortie is about 880lbs, a 50hp motor around 225lbs, 2 people 350lbs+ add to this batteries, fuel, anchor+chain, auxillary motor etc, etc it soon adds up.

Posted Image

Using the graph plot,

weight in lbs / hp - frictional losses

mine is 1950lbs / 67hp = 29.1

On the graph this comes out around 32mph

your weight at 1500lbs / 47 = 31.9

This gives just over the 30mph mark

NickintheNorth. Test

I have tested the link you gave with known stats and my cathedral hull gives a constant of 167.

Putting Norries stats into the test with the same cathedral hull constant gives 30mph.

One last accurate method for working out your potential top speed. Do you know the pitch of your prop Norrie?

Revs at wide open throttle x 60 = revs per hour

divide this by gear ratio = Revs of prop / hr

x this by pitch of prop = inches/hr at 100% efficiency

convert this figure to mph

Mine goes as follows

5200revs wot x 60 = 312000

312000/2.33 gear ratio = 133905

x 17inches = 2276395 inches / hr

this gives 35.9mph at 100% efficiency which is of course impossible and more likely to be around 10 - 14% less.

Thinking long and hard about the 47 figure, could it just be possible the GPS is giving 47kms and not 47kts. 47kms equating to 29mph?

I hope this can be of some use.

All sums, all maths! The shortie you pointed out steve is great Ive noticed it, but it doesnt have an auxillary, and no bow roller, which are two points im not so keen on. Plus it means a drive away down to crayside! Wouldnt mind if the boat was perfect you know. Norrie Ill call sunday sometime, evening suit you? I could drive over monday. I know a couple of guys with similar setups, shorties with 50h engines, and generally its 25-30 knots max. Which is more than enough in reality! We small boat owners should try and get a few trips arranged together, safety in numbers and all! Could even start an AN small boat competition league! Prizes at the end of the year etc...