Elton, Norrie bought a boat!!!!!!!

Guest NickInTheNorth

LOL - Sharkbyte, I was one of those suggesting that his numbers were at least possible and reasonable with a proper hull and good conditions.

As to being a friend of Norrie's, sorry but I wouldn't know him if he walked up and bit me on the ankle. We've both been posting here a while and I do think he tends to say true things but for instance, if he had claimed those speeds from a displacement hull, I'd have quickly said he was mistaken. OTOH, if he'd claimed them for a hydrofoil hull of some sort, I'd have suggested he was a bit on the low side.

Tell ya what, if all the nay-sayers can come up with a decent sum of cash for a wager and maybe some odds, I'll bet we could all find out for sure how fast his boat can travel.

What say Norrie - their £1000 against your £100 that with good sea conditions you can run a solid 40 mph over a 5 or 10 mile (not nautical but the 5280 foot ones) stretch?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevie cop

Manxman

I believe the Hunter and Shorty are the same hull. The shorty, if anything, would have more wind resistance due to the higher cuddy. The figures you quote are what I would expect from that outfit. The ad for the Shorty on boats and outboards says max speed 25/30 mph. Again, those figures are what would be expected as it has a 60 hp motor.

Newt, come on now! 10-1? LOL. And. And. You've dropped the speed to 40 mph instead of the 47 KNOTS mentioned, which would equate to over 50 mph!

Good job I'm not a gambling man! ;o)

5280 foot newt??? We british work in yards! Anyway, this is all interesting reading, but does it catch us more fish? We should be sharing info on far off vanues and tactics with all these speedy boats flying about the place! I know a wreck 187 miles north west of inverness, etc! Heh, only kidding. Im sorting out my shetland for a smaller rig... i need advice on boats about 3 grand... seahog hunters any good??? Space enough for 3 and are they ok in rougher conditions??? Any experience folk could pass on would be grand

Daniel, Hunters are Ok, but a tad slow for my liking...... :D:D

As for the "Grand National" of races...I'm up for it.....My £100 against ?????? would make a great day out..... :D:D

Uncle Newt...how can you say such a thing...forgetting all about your fav nephew.... :rolleyes:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Norrie 25 knotts is still a hell of a fast mate.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Guest stevie cop

Glasgowdan

I think the Hunter is the same hull as the Shorty. Anyway, they are dory hulls which I rate as probably the best all round hull for fishing from.

I don't think there is a perfect small fishing boat, you have to make compromises with any of them. But the dories have a very large deck space for their size, they are very stable, they are fast, you can pick them up pretty cheap and most important of all, they are good sea boats. On the down side, if you get short choppy waves hitting you from the front when at anchor, you do get a bit of slamming. But it's not much worse than with any other type of small boat.

sorry you workin mate woul've been good to see you down this neck of the woods one day thoug and how's my name sake these days getting big i should imagine ang up to no good crawling about

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

I would agree with Steve 100 0/0. I like catheederal hulled dorys, Ive spent a lot of time on small 16 foot ones and on large ones of 27 & 35 foot, they do slap a bit but the stability when at anchor and the fact they handle well in a sea more than compensates. Also when its calm they are quite fast.

Steve, Saturday still up in the air wheather wise mate, Im hopefully topeing friday and sunday, if you are up for it satuerday we would could double up with matt for safety. My fingers are crossed and my ears to the ground mate.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Steve your right about the Hunter and the Shorty being the same hull the only difference is that the Shortie has a smaller cuddy.

Dan they are a good little sea boat, the weather I encountered coming home on Saturday I really woundn't have planned a trip out in, but the boat got me home safely. I had a big following sea and still was able to make 15 knots most of the way with the bow trimmed well up.

I really wouldn't want to fish three people in my boat, there really isn't the room to be comfortable, saying that the Shortie will probably have a little more deck space

Guest stevie cop

As you say Sam, the weather is still up in the air. Went fly fishing for bass tonight. Winds were given as southerly, and when we got there it was. Then it switched to westerly and increased, then back to south west and got even stronger.

The way it's going mate, it's too unsettled for me to make any plans about saturday.