fixed spool

elliot

I have an Ed schliffke's rock hopper bass plugger which is an 11' spinning rod and planning on taking it along with me when I go to Gambia but no longer have a reel for it and am unsure what make or model will be best for both Gambia and good old bass spinning back in England

elliot,I've had three trips out with a Shimano Nexave 6000F, 4 bearings 2 spools and it has a good line lay(important for spinning) takes 300yds of 10lb then pro-rata down to 120yds of 20lb performance has been good, I've used worse and it only cost £40.I've just loaded the alloy spool with 10lb backing line and topped off with 150yds of braid for a trial on holiday next week tight lines fishy1

i`d get a black one :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hello Elliot.

There are 2 types of fish in the Gambia?

`Tiddlers` and `Monsters`! In most locations it`s only luck and the size of bait that makes any difference?

The estuary at Banjul holds loads of different species (mainly small). But big catfish are waiting several hundred yds upstream, barracuda`s can come into the estuary on the flood tide.

Also, from most of the shore-line. The many and varied species the can be encountered, make any foolproof reccomendation a tad iffy?

I`ve been fishing for big rays from the shore, only for the bait to be snatched by a Barracuda as soon as it hit the water.

If you insist on using the `Rock-hopper`, I suggest you buy a `good` f/s reel. Shimano aerolex or such. And have at least 20lb line.

You might spend hours catching smallish stuff, only to find yourself with a monster on the line. And barracudas love a fast moving lure!!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hiya, ST, Just got back last night from Lochaline, fishing for Skate, and caught conger to 10lbs. Then we went down the Sound for Tope, Davy had one on and lost it ,about 20lbs according to the teeth marks on the bait. We had a couple of Skate on ,but lost them, one of them snapped off on 130lb braid. .We also had Mackeral, whiting, LSD and nice Spurdog. I had to get home for my granddaughters first birthday party, :( Davy phoned about an hour ago, he and Ian Lindsay had a Skate of 162lbs, Leons fish it was.... :D He is going to fish the rest of the tide, then off down the Sound for more Tope. I hope !!!! I'm back up on the 10th of Oct. with Spasor and Mrs Spasor...I cant wait. :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/