Absolutely Stupid.........

Guest jay_con

Guest jay_con

I fish a little bay just north of where I live. To get there I go down a little country lane in the car, park up, cross a field and go down the cliff using a rope.

For years the anglers who go to this spot have had trouble from a man who lives near by. Last week when I went this chap threatened to clamp my car if I parked on the road. I reminded him he couldnt do that as it was not his road (I was very polite to), After that I was subjected to a string of verbal abuse from this chaps wife, for want of a better word the woman is a lunatic.

When I asked what the problem was they couldnt tell me. I dont park near enough there house to be a nuisance noise wise, I park off the road so I dont obstruct them in any way. I walk past there house with my light out so they wouldnt even know I was passing, I have the farmers permission to cross the field near thier house.

To cut a long story short I went tonight and when I got to the cliff the rope that has been there for years had gone, Im assuming the chap I mentioned earlier has removed it. Im told he's done that before. This didnt bother me too much as I was still able to climb down and then back up the cliff without it.

My concern is a lot of people who use the area: walkers , fossilers, anglers and lots of other people - walk to the bay at low tide along the shore then often get cut off by the in coming tide and knowing this rope is there use it to get up the cliff. I knew it wasnt there because i came from the top of the cliff, what about the poor buggers who might come along the shore not knowing the rope has gone. Some people wont be as confident in climbing as me. God only knows what the consequences might be. Im thinking of phoning the police - do you think I would be wasting thier time?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to call and risk 'wasting' some police time than to hear next week that 2 or 3 folks had drowned due to lack of a rope.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Stop it winter! You`re starting to sound reasonable. :rolleyes:

Yes. I know, I`ve met some of these folk in the past. They have a house, on a small plot of land. But think they own everything in eyesight!

Nothing can be allowed to stop their complete mastery of all they survey?

I`d advise you to complain to the police. But I fear that, if they identified your vehicle, as belonging to the person who complained about them. They`d vandalise it!

If I gave you my honest answer. I`d get locked up for encitement to .....?

Best of luck.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Definitely report them to the police and you might want to consider contacting the local paper to report how dangerous and mindless the act was and the potential consequences...

(and pop a 10 day old squid in the post to the couple to thank the couple for their kindness?) :D

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

the thing is, although pain in the arses like that really should be just put on their own little island with the rest of their ilk, to rely on a piece of rope as your only escape method is a little foolhardy...if you need rope, take one, NEVER rely on one being there.

Reminds me a little of people going up snowdon in trainers "cos theres a path" and then finding siad path frozen over and useless on the way down.

Go equipped for the worst, not the best.

fwiw, it could have been anyone as well, even the council...perhaps the rope wasn't safe.

just playing devils advocate...theres probably few other things that will rile people up than being falsly accused by the people he isnt' happy with (for whatever misguided reason) in the first place.

Fair point GFAW. Musn't jump to conclusions. But I still think they'd like the squid. :D

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Guest jay_con

Mustnt jump to conclusions I know, but all the clues point in that direction. this guy has been visited by the police in the past for allegedly pulling up the rope when someone was at the bottom of it.

Wouldnt the council post notice of thier intentions prior to removing it. It was there wed night and not there thurs night, There could have been someone who had gone down and was hoping to use the rope to get back up. I dont think the council would remove it just like that.

Regarding the ropes quality. It was fine. A very strong piece of rope and well pinned and tied. I/we wouldnt dangle over cliff edges on pieces of string, our lives depend on it.

Regarding the squid, id love to but that would make me as bad as him and his insane wife.