Which braid

Clint

Hi gang, i havent been plaice fishing for nearly 10 yrs now but when i used to go out of Estbourne i used to use Fireline, is this still the better braid to use ? if not what braided line do you guys recommend nower days?

Regards Clint

Braid isn't particularly abrasion resistant anyway, whatever the make. Fireline only seems that way because its heavier than the rest. It consistantly breaks at way above its stated breaking strain, so the safety margin is quite high. It is therefore thicker and marginally less liable to break in contact with rocks/wrecks. The downside is that in deep water or fast currents you need a bit more lead. I use PowerPro mostly but I wouldnt knock Fireline

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I use the stuff from UK Hooks, cheap as chips and after 3 years weekly use seems fine. Also you dont have to wear a black armband for a week when you lose 200m.

Read somewhere that braid isn't too good for plaice fishing 'cos you can strike too soon after feeling the bite.

AlderneyBassman:

I use the stuff from UK Hooks, cheap as chips and after 3 years weekly use seems fine. Also you dont have to wear a black armband for a week when you lose 200m.

Read somewhere that braid isn't too good for plaice fishing 'cos you can strike too soon after feeling the bite.

:cool: Well I don't think you can blame the braid if the angler strikes too quickly, unless you're a politician of course. :D

WHAT?????

Strike at a plaice. :confused:

If you feel a bite whilst paice fishing. From the beach, let your line go slack until you feel another bite.

From a drifting boat, give it 10-20 yds of line, then wait to see if there`s any weight on the line. Then reel in slowly? If the plaice hasn`t already got the hook in its mouth, it might give a final thrust to stop its dinner disappearing!!

Don`t strike at plaice!! More than once a plaice has taken both the baits on my trace. Let them hook themselves!!

We don`t use J`s anymore!!