Jersey Sea Fishing Licence

Socksy Squirrel

I do not know what this licence is going to entail.

However I would like to see something on the table that is beneficial to sea angling before the licence goes ahead.

At the moment the freshwater anglers pay a licence, in return they get stocking in the case of the trout anglers and exclusive access in the case of the coarse anglers.

Are we going to be left paying say £20 per annum with no benefits at all apart from maybe a few quid given to Jersey Tourism to subsidise the Jersey Open Festival.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chippy:

Of course we will, we'll get a stupid bit of paper that says we can fish in the same sea that others are free to rape and pillage!! :D

Don't forget that you have a pretty good hold of your 12 mile limit. It really does look like another attempt to fill the tax black hole though.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Socksy Squirrel:

At the moment the freshwater anglers pay a licence, in return they get stocking in the case of the trout anglers and exclusive access in the case of the coarse anglers.

I'm not sure they even get that. Most stocked fisheries are stocked by the owners, not by the Environment Agency, and the money coarse anglers pay to get exclusive access is to the club or owner, not the EA.

It's hard enough to make a case for the trout/coarse licence, really; I think it's a fair point that cleaner rivers are something everyone wants, not just anglers, and that lots of other activities benefit from facilities funded from general taxation. You don't get football licences, rambling licences or birdwatching licences, so why should there be fishing licences?

I also wonder how much of the licence fee is spent on administration and enforcement.

It's just a tax, and sea anglers should fight it tooth and nail.

The whole licensing scheme / bag limits is a total non-starter. After all they can't police the current regulations properly at the moment!!

I think the that the no take zones are highly likely to happen at some stage and in some form.

The crux of the matter is the Sea Anglers aren't currently represented on the Sea Fisheries Advisory Panel, hence the meeting above was called to try and establish whether sea anglers in the island are willing to support the idea of a a representative being made.

The general concensus (sp?) was that minimum sizes need to be increased and a further meeting will be taking place in due course to try and thrash out some of the issues and to try and establish a way forward.