Plans for 2009?

Steve Burke

My main aim is to finish my perch book by the end of the summer.

Poor health and 2 house moves scuppered any chance of doing much this year. However we're now settled for a while just 4 miles from Wingham. I say for a while as I can't see us wanting to re-enter the housing market until at least the autumn, and probably not for some time after that.

So now's a golden opportunity to finally put the book to bed.

Fishing wise it'll be more of the same. I'll be after pike and the perch on the Coarse Lake at Wingham until the clocks go forward. I also intend to stay on after dark on some of my perch trips to see what else I can pick up.

Once the clocks go forward it'll be time to start bivvying up for monster bream overnight, and either perch or tench during the day.

What are your plans?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

actually its do more sea fishing in 2009, but on the coarse front well i am still going to fish the river stort until the end of the season and try to catch a pb perch and also go for more pike. But my main aim is to try and fish with friends who i hardly get to fish with even if it means going to commercial fisheries to chill out and chew the fat.

Oh and also i want to but a good book on perch fishing so get writing steve :P

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Not so much a 2009 task as a 2008/2009 season end task. To catch the remaining species on my list for my first season back in angling, namely barbel, chub, eel (I’ll not be too disappointed if I blank on this one!), grayling, rudd, pike and zander. Fair bit of work to do then!

2009/2010 season will then be an opportunity to again improve my skills, find new waters, get to know existing waters better, and try to beat my current PBs on all species.

Geoff

There are a few things which may or may not happen, like fishing for barbel and catfish, but I will be fishing for chub, pike and perch until the end of the season, all locally. I'm not bothered about a really big perch, but if one turns up I'd be extremely pleased! I would, though, like a big chub, either from the Thames or another local river, and this is where most of my efforts will be going. In between that lot, I'm going to try to get some good piking in. I think a 20 is too much to hope for, just catching a few would be great, especially from the Thames. There'll be a zander trip or two to the fens as well.

In the Spring, it will be a welcome return to some small stream fly fishing for brownies, and hopefully I'll get better at the upstream nymph. I think that's the hardest fishing technique I've ever tried.

I'm going to renew my Wingham ticket (unless Steve says otherwise!) and will be fishing there as much as I can afford (both time and money - it's a long way) from April to July, for tench in the daytime and bream at night. I'm going to try to calm down a bit next year and not take it so seriously, which basically means float fishing in the margins rather than bolt rigging at 60 yards. Although no doubt there'll be some of that :rolleyes: If I catch a few tench I'll be happy; if I catch a single bream I'll be over the moon; and if I fluff my chances for a bream I'll be in a bad mood all year :D I can't wait to be back there in the Spring anyway, it's like a little piece of heaven.

It would be really good if the big bream topic continues with a few more results and information to pad it out a bit. It could even be the basis for some kind of article, a kind of AN-authored affair. There's so little out there on big bream fishing.

Summer - not sure, maybe barbel or catfish? Crucians? Perhaps a go for a carp? I may have my first go for a big summer perch, fishing at dawn...

Autumn will be perch fishing, as usual, and the annual relief of fishing with just one rod and a few bits rather than a barrow full of god knows what and a strained back :rolleyes:

Then back to winter!

I forgot to add - throughout the year I'll be doing lots of trotting for whatever at my favourite little tributary. That really is hard to beat.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Must make a real effort to catch those UK fish that have eluded me so far.

Freshwater, that's bitterling, ten-spined stickleback and smelt.

Anyone know where any of these have been caught recently? (a pm will be treated in confidence)

Will also fish for my favorites - roach, perch and chub in rivers, roach, perch and tench in stillwaters.

...and Wales is an area I have neglected for too long, so a few trips there also.

..and the species hunt continues in the sea and abroad. Dreams to become reality? Who knows?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Plans for 2009 - get on the river hopefully prior to close or after re-opening of the river season for the first time in 9 years!! More realistic is to enjoy summer and spring on the clubs 4 still waters - spring time i will be on the float and then summer time i will be on the feeder and sunbathing whilst watching my tip - bliss (if we have the weather). I also intend to finally shed my student tag and become a fully fledged proffesional - teacher that is!! wahey!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

Well Steve, my plans for 2009 is this.....

At the moment is to carry on piking and maybe an odd day of zandering in the River Avon around in my area and on my local water at Abbott Salford until March.

Then a small break in the fishing to take it easy and more likely to carry on catching up with the DIY for a few weeks :lol:

As you know that I will back fishing at Wingham and will be giving it a real good shot this year coming to continue my quest for the big tench and bream and hopefully a carp either with budgie or without budgie! :D

In the late summer or autumn time - hopefully will either back on the River Avon or Severn for the barbel session or I will be looking at chub fishing on the River Arrow providing if I can get a permit for this stretch.

Then in October back to the piking and zandering until the end of the year!

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Not sure Steve yet will be carrying on with the piking for a while & probably a few barbel sessions if we get the weather then it will be back to normal on the carp bream & tench front. Its amazing how quick it comes round now, the days of waiting for june seem a century ago. Gotta put more effort into a double figure tench this year, last year i just coasted through a fell well short . Also going to put a few serious catfish sessions together as the saying goes you've got to be in it to win it :) . All the best for the new year everyone & tight lines .

The more i practice the luckier i get :)

first of all, before the season is out:

- catch a 1lb+ chub from my local small tributary (not as easy as it sounds!!)

- find out where the bigger chub hang out in the winter on the main river

- Have a good grayling session on the tributary

after March:

- discover some new club stillwaters that i have previously ignored

- get a basic fly outfit to keep me near to the rivers!

Each year I set myself goals, and each year a new personnel best is always a target I like to achieve, but I never let that get in the way of my enjoyment I have from my time at the waterside.

If my head is attached to my body, and I'm not over the limit!!. In the morning I'm back on the River Dove after a grayling, my best so far is 1lb1oz, even one ounce bigger than that I'd be over the moon.

A double figure tench and bream has eluded me for too long now, so I'll be giving both of them some serious attention this Spring time.

A 20lb carp of the top would be nice, so would a 4lb perch and between April and September every year for the last 20 years I do a lot of eel fishing, another big eel would be okay :D