metcheck.com

Jonah13

I find Metcheck to be no more accurate (or innacurate) than Auntie Beeb's version. I do find that the constant Metcheck updating to be a bit ambitious and along with other features, theres a little too much information for my liking.

jonah13, I set up a Beeb weather page for your local weather (Manchester ?) at this address

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2613

Try it for a few weeks it might be all that you need. Lets face it...if whatever forecast you use is the wrong side of perfect, you're going to go fishing anyway and since there's an aweful lot of mumbo jumbo talked about the relationship between weather and fishing, it should be more down to instinct on the day when you're standing facing the water, as to what you fish for and how you do it. Just make sure that you take your umbrella.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike argyll I find the amount of information on Metcheck to be it's best feature. Many sites have just a rain or shine forecast and then only a couple of days ahead, and this I find next to useless.

Having the extra information means that with just a basic knowledge of meteorology, you can interpret the forecast better and relate it to your own local conditions. For instance the weather 20 miles away on the other side of the North Downs can be very different, with wind direction and sea temperatures playing an important part.

The extra information on Metcheck also means that you can work out what's likely to happen if the forecast isn't quite right. For instance, the timing of a depression crossing the country may be somewhat delayed.

Overall weather forecasts have much improved in recent years and are getting better all the time. I find Metcheck to be at least as accurate as their competitors, and better than many.

Metcheck though publish detailed figures of how accurate their forecasts have been on their verification page (scroll down their home page and look under the "other" section). For instance you can see how accurate their forecasts were for London for up to 6 days ahead at http://www.metcheck.com/verification/verif...?locationID=107

How many other forecasters dare to publish this?

On the other hand I find their fishing forecasts to be of limited use (although they do show 3 hourly pressure forecasts). This is because different species prefer different weather conditions. For instance I find that pike tend to feed well in rising pressure, perch in falling pressure, although pressure is only one of many factors involved. Likewise I can't recall many days when I've caught decent pike in the rain, yet the complete opposite is true with perch.

Jonah, a light south-westerly wind may be good for fishing, but on the other hand it may not. There are many other factors involved. Trying to piece together the jigsaw can be a fascinating exercise!

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to arrange my diary around my fishing. I therefore use forecasts like Metcheck to do just this. Years ago weather forecasts weren't accurate enough for me to do so, now (despite the odd hiccup) they are.

Those of you who can fish just weekends and holidays aren't so lucky. However, foecasts can help you decide which day to fish, which species to go after and which venue to visit.

If the weather forecast is really bad you can always "give up" your fishing and earn some brownie points with the missus!

[ 10. February 2005, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Jonah13:

sod it i'll go both days and find out for myself   :)     :)  

Way to go Jonah :D

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Steve mentions never having done any good for pike in the rain.I totally agree.But as always in angling there are those exceptions........

When we set out the day looked quite promising but as we were unloading the gear from the car the clouds started to roll over and the wind pick up.A short walk was all that was needed up from the bridge,All the rods were in the water (well mine were any way my companion for the day was the biggest tackle tart I know and carries every thing in its own little bag and not ready set up) my mate was still unpacking his rods as the first drops fell,by the time he had put the line through the rings my rods had been blown of the rests several times,out came the rubber bands.By the time his second rod was set up we were both drenched! and I was under my brotel! The rain was being driven side ways parralell to the bank.it was horrendous.As he struggled to thread up rod three he looked at me and suggested we abort! I concured this was a good idea.No sooner had the retreat been sounded that one of my drop offs went.Thinking it was the wind I went over and started to wind in to pack up.There was a pike on! Oh well that was a suprise but our minds were made up.Cutting a long story short I had a fish on each rod(4) whilst packing up!Never caught in those sort of conditions before or since!Oh BTW by the time my tackle tart mate had packed up (despite me helping him) the rain had eased but the wind was horrendous.

[ 10. February 2005, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

In response to Steve and Budgie,

My best ever Pike session was in a howling gale and pouring rain. The major factor on this date I think was although it was winter it was a relatively mild day, but because of the conditions I had very low light levels all morning. Bearing in mind that I normally get half a dozen Pike each winter, I had my quota in this one session, all fell to legered sprats, 3 doubles to 16.02, which is still my pb, and 3 jacks around 6-8 pounds.

Since then I've always been very optimistic of a few Pike if the weather is windy and wet!

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Metcheck made a public apology a few weeks ago having forecast a snowy winter. Looks like they were right after all! Here in Kent, it's been the worst for 15 years.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve... I spoke to my mother in Gillingham at lunchtime - she was saying it took her almost 2 hours to get home from St Bart's Hospital in Chatham (a total of under 3 miles!)

Even allowing for her driving, I guess it must be rough.

On Monday I had a day off and decided I was going to take my new car for a run. Within 10 minutes of leaving the centre of Liverpool it was snowing and forced a rethink (No, not the Lake District!)

During the day we had snow, sleet, hail and rain. Not near what was forecast!

Work on tuesday and again today... very cold, icy wind but brilliant sunshine. I am not a happy bunny!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine