Any Good Angling Stories?

dreamer

Chris, Surfacepopper, do you think we have enough material?

I'm happy to do this with just 3-4 of us although it would be nice to have sufficient material to allow the book to logically hang together.

As I indicated before, this isn't a commercial exercise, I just want to get a project on the books and think it might as well be something that I'm interested in.

I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Regards

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi dreamer.

I would go along with your idea of about 20-30 contributions for this project.

I think that would possibly make up around 100 pages which I feel would just about right.

At the moment I am working on one "How to" type article. I also have a nice angling related story which does not have a home yet. You are welcome to use either, if you wish for this project.

I see from your profile that you are located in Suffolk.

Would that be any where near Bury St Edmunds?

Shoot me an e-mail, maybe we could meet up for a Pint (that also goes for Suffolk Lad).

Surfacepopper@aol.com

I've got a fair bit - but its all a bit 'samey' and was done as a diary at the time. I reckon I could come up with half a dozen 1500+ word pieces - perhaps a little more without it sounding too repetive...

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

There's a few articles that I've written at:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/introleon.htm

I'll be retiring from my full time job at the end of the month, so I might have some spare time to do some more writing.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Do we/you also need to test the market? I'd be delighted to submit a short entry, but would I be willing to pay, say, £10 for such a book? I guess so if I was a contributor, but I doubt it if I was not involved. How many would you need to sell to break even, Dreamer?

john clarke

John,

Sorry for the delay in responding but I’ve been off-line for a few days.

Essentially, my motivation for this project is to get a book into print so that the new publishing business has a published example. I am not worried if it doesn't breakeven and realistically don't expect it to.

The main thing is to produce something that the contributors can be proud of and that might help to promote the new business. This is why I thought it would be nice to make it a forum exercise and donate any royalties to Elton's running costs fund. If it only sells 30 copies it doesn't matter, although with the quality of the contributors here you never know.

It will also be available on Amazon (both UK and US) so perhaps Nugg can promote it across the pond!

Regards

Dreamer

dreamer:

Any Budding Writers?

For what it's worth, you can use my article Leviathans from the deep if you think it will fill a few pages :o I am sure that Davy Holt won't mind you using his contribution.

Alan(nl)

Oops, just realised its the coarse section

[ 15. January 2004, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan,

It's inspiring stuff and would be delighted to include it.

I think there are now eight of us: John Clarke, Newt, Alan Pearce, Chris Plumb, Leon, Surfacepopper, Alan Taylor and myself.

With regard to content and structure, I will try to put together a first ‘aunt sally’ outline for everyone who has agreed to contribute, to comment and add ideas to.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

The following represents a first stab at the chapters for the book. I've also indicated where some of the contributions might fit in brackets.

Chapters

1 A Plan for All Seasons [2]

2 The Unexpected [3]

3 Serendipity [1]

4 Mystery [2]

5 Days to Remember [1]

6 Close Encounters [1]

7 Childhood Memories [1]

8 Favourites [2]

9 Comedy and Farce [1]

10 Rites of Passage [0]

So far the possible content ranges from ghost stories to mysteries of the deep!

I'll try and contact everyone by pm over the next two days regarding possible content. In the meantime I would be grateful for any feedback/thoughts on the above.

Also, if anyone has a good idea for a title post it here! A signed copy of the finished article for the winner??!

[ 28. January 2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: dreamer ]