smashing weekend

Alan Taylor

Just thought I would share my weekend with you.

As usual I left home 2 hours earlier than is normal for the trip to Schipol and arrived without too much time to spare due to heavy traffic caused by road works, the annoying thing was no one was working :mad:

Anyway arrived at Bristol Int Airport to be met by this motly crew :D

http://www.go-fishing.org/upload/files/airportpicture

From left to right, Mike, little feathers, little onions, jabee and yours truely in the middle. We did'nt have much time together as John had some one coming around that evening but what little time that we did have was the most enjoyable that I have had for a long long time. It is nice to meet people from AN for the first time and this was especially nice :) thanks.

Off to Johns house for a cracking Curry and to meet the mystery guest, all I was told that it was someone from AN :confused: now that had me going for a while and who should show up but Ferret :D We had a good old chat while we were loading up some reels and John was cooking. Nice to meet you mate and looking forward to the end of May.

We loaded up the car, had a couple of glasses of Red and an early night ready for a 0430 start. I had a bad night which could have been caused by the late curry. I did ask John if Norrie had slept in the same bed when he visited and John asked how I knew? Well I kept rolling over to the edge and woke up just in time to stop myself falling out :D

0400 up to be greeted by 2 inches of SNOW on the ground, not a good omen. It was raining lightly when we left to meet up with the rest of the crew, John's Dad, Brother and mate (lucky) phil.

After a long drive we arrived at the boat, the first thing Rob said to me was "you are all firkin mad".

Fishing the Needles was out of the question so we went down the solent about 7 miles from Lymington.

It was wind against tide for most of the day so not very comfortable.

Sorry to say there is not much to report catch wise except that Lucky oops Phil had a nice Bass of a couple of pounds and lost a decent cod due mainly to inexperience, he is learning fast and it was nice to see the smile on his face with his first Bass and the best fish on the boat for the day. We had a couple of Whiting, doggies and pout. I also had a Tesco bag that slipped the hook after quite a struggle, John had a bite but Rob thought it was a Tesco one that had just clipped his line:-).

A word here about Rob the skipper, well he tried every trick in the book with the squid baits and helped us a lot with hands on advice as well as some very welcome hot drinks on what was a very cold day. Thanks Rob and until the next time, cheers.

John, what can I say, thanks for putting up with me and the invitation to fish with you and your family, I hope that I get to do it again when it is a bit warmer or the weather is a bit better. It was nice to meet you and thanks also for showing me how you tie a hook on, very impressive.

I usually like to end these little trip reports with a photograph so will add it when Rob sends the only picture taken on the trip to me.

Cheers for now.

Alan

PS, I must add here that I have not felt so good for a long time, if you are feeling down or a bit ill, GO FISHING. :)

[ 22. December 2004, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Nice write up Alan. Just goes to show that the fishing really plays second fiddle to the company kept. :)

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Glad you had a good time Alan, But I wont tell anyone (just yet anyway), what you asked me BTW..... :D and, thanks for the phone call.... :rolleyes:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I don't mind, but Feathers might not like having ten years slapped on her! Easy mistake to make, we share a brain. :D

Glad you had a good time and that your trip wasn't weathered off.

If it's any consolation, Clevedon pier was f-f-f-f-freezing. Took Mick half an hour to find the necessaries to take a pee when we got back to the pub! :D

Help me unhook these, please.

Glad you got out, Alan. We've been tracking the weather on your behalf and it wasn't looking promising. But being out there in good company beats everything except being out there in company and catching At least you left some for me. :P

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Phil had the Bass for dinner last night and enjoyed it very much.

This was only his second trip and he's asked if he can borrow a book or two on sea angling - another one may join our ranks it would seem. My brother, Richard, was on his first boat trip and he hasn't yet found his sea legs, but has said he would like to have another go when the weather improves.

Cracking weekend - thanks to all involved, including Alan, the welcoming party at the airport, Ferret for helpng sort the gear out Saturday night (I was as dis-organised as usual) and of course RobT for putting us onto a few fish when conditions were less than ideal.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Bugger this for a game of soldgiers, I knew/thought I was right re onions and feathers

Richard did very well considering how he felt :P

Norrie, jabee has your Delft blue tiles packed and ready to take up with him in January, consider it a late Christmas present

As a few of you have pointed out, "its not the catching but the company that counts"

Nite all

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/