Fishing on the Curriculum

mjbarnes12

P.S. My dictionary (Concise Oxford 9th Edition) says a sport requires both physical exertion and competition, neither of which usually apply to angling.

Angly, You should try fishing some sections of the Wear. I have jokingly said in the past that the SAS used to use it in its training programme but they had two many failures. Winter League matches used to be fished on one particular section but in time anglers refused to even attempt to get to their pegs.

Excellent chub & barbel water though, if your young and fit

Les and Angling Projects has ready made modules already accepted by some schools /LEA's

Mark Eanock set up http://www.marksangling.co.uk/ after being involved with Angling Projects.

I heard Mark this morning on Keith Arthur's radio programme and he couldn't praise Les and his team enough

Les's MBE was long overdue

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emphatically not - it's not a sport, it has no place in schools in my opinion!

I think fishing is a field/country sport and pass time rolled into one. I don't see fishing as a school exersice or game like rugby, football,tennise or hockey. In my opinion fishing has no place in schools. If there's enought interest then a teacher could organise fishing tuition after school in their spare time. Problems then is insurance....health and safty etc.

I don't think it should be on the curriculum either. But, I do think there should be more in schools around environmental issues, which might help with things like littering anglers etc. Definitely one for the school club type activity though!

Rob

http://www.anglingwiki.com

Angling Wiki - the free online fishing encyclopaedia!

and angling is a sport........................... fact!!
It may be to you, it's a past time at best to me, unless maybe you include match angling, which leaves me cold, but back to the topic.

When I was at school we had many clubs; archery, chess, kite flying, model making, model railway, scalextric, bird watching and many others I can't remember them all, but I don't think we had a fishing club. If you can run an angling club at your school then that sounds like a brilliant idea, but I am not sure that you would manage to get it on the curriculum.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

But all said I feel that anything that introduces angling and the country side to kids is good.Stiff competition these days from vidio games and the PC so it all helps to ensure th future of the sport/pastime we love so much.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

But all said I feel that anything that introduces angling and the country side to kids is good.Stiff competition these days from vidio games and the PC so it all helps to ensure th future of the sport/pastime we love so much.

I agree with that 100% Budgie, the beneficial social aspects of fishing are well known, and it's saved many people from an otherwise nefarious life... much better to address this via after-school clubs though, rather than further dumbing down the National Curriculum. The example of video games is an interesting one - I'd say that these are also good for keeping kids out of trouble, and if they were part of the curriculum you could easily structure lessons around programming, graphic design, narrative structure, electronics, maths, physics, business and management, etc. I'm not suggesting that for a second by the way :D

As an after-school club, this would have my 100% support. As part of the curriculum, we'd be selling our kids short. IMHO.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think it would be hard to justify Angling on the curriculum. However, to be offered as an extra curricular activity, can't see why not.

Anything that encourages kids to enjoy the outdoors can't be bad. It would be an excelent way to teach a respect for their environment.