FAO Vagabond

Alan Taylor

Hi Vagabond, I am doing it this way as I know you are on your travels again.

I had an email from Rob (Electric Blue) about hooks. He recomends we get hold of some of the following. (from the pics of these hooks I can see why he goes for them).

Owner Stinger Treble size #1

Owner Mutu lights #1/0 #2/0 & #3/0.

I have checked them out over here and they are about £27 total for a packet of each from Harris Angling, on the "Owner" site they are $5 a packet.

I have made enquiries at the Owner site and am waiting for a reply, I just thought that if you get to a tackle shop while you are over there you might get yourself some for the trip.

Rob also sugests Fluro line, max 20lb. He has it on the boat and will sell it at cost to us.

Nice and sunny here but with a N.E very cold wind.

Cheers

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan - also check This page at Cabelas.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

OI!!

Us brits managed to catch bass out of Lymington without trebles and fluoro line, before it became fashionable.

A simple pennel, single hooks with a live sand-eel works wonders?

But if you want to buy a `go-faster` rig with flashes on the side?

:P Paul. :rolleyes::D

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

spasor - I managed to catch a good few fish using a piece of dried bamboo with string tied to the end and a whisky cork for a float.

But I don't think I'd particularly like to go back to that as my usual rig these days.

I'm not a treble fan at all but the owner single hooks are excellent. Worth the money they charge.

Alan - sorry to hear that Cabelas is poor for overseas purchases. I'll quit recommending them for non-US anglers I think. They are excellent if your are in the US.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

sorry to hear that Cabelas is poor for overseas purchases.  

From what I remember, they ask you to add 30% for carriage overseas and promise to credit you with anything that's left over.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

spasor:

OI!!

Us brits managed to catch bass out of Lymington without trebles and fluoro line, before it became fashionable.

I think the trebles are for live mackeral.

When I fish away from home I go with the experts for the simple reason that they are experts as Rob is. Also lets hope that Sandeels are available and that the Bass are feeding on them.

This is a learning curve for me both in Wales with Chris Parker and with Rob. I hope some of what I learn can be put to good use here in Holland. I will also be taking some of Chris's lures down with me and some Shads. :cool:

You use what you want Paul I will move with the times

When you get on the boat I will get Rob to explain why he does things the way he does :)

Newt, I thought Cabelas were rubbish, it could just be me. I can't remember how much it was but I ordered a couple of flys from them, the jiffy bag cost more than the flys :( At least with the Owner site you know what it is going to cost for postage etc.

Cheers

Alan

[ 21. February 2004, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan - more likely Cabelas is good domestic and bad international.

Newt:

Alan - more likely Cabelas is good domestic and bad international.

Ditto that, most unhelpful when I tried to order International. I don't think they knew or cared where "abroad" was. Quite the opposite at Bass-Pro, I successfully ordered from them. Come to think of it, my order may have gone through a US "intermediary". You have to shop around for companies that will ship International, often the flashier sites won't bother, the smaller shops try harder

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Thanks for the thought Alan. Have just returned to base here at Lago Vista after a tour of S Texas. We fly home tomorrow so no time for shopping - most of the tackle shops I have come across here are pretty basic (probably because we tend to avoid large towns) - I have never seen a Bass-Pro shop !

My gear for bass fishing will probably be similar to Spasor's

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...