Fishing TV

Ken L

You've clearly made up your mind Andy but The Rex Hunt Futurefish Foundation remains as Rex's lasting legacy.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd be surprised mate, I worked on the last Louis Theroux film, a main feature on the BBC schedules, filmed entirely on Mini DV, at the Beebs request! Formats now have to be cheap rather than top quality.

Also Andy its only fair to remember that Rex made both UK and Ozzie audiences squirm.............but with us it was his "poor" fish handling and with the Ozzies the way he "over" pampered his catch even returning some! I guess Rex did help improve Aussie ngling but sadly also wonder how many young/new/casual UK anglers now think its ok to just bite the line and "swallow dive" fish back in?

Got to remember different countries different cultures mate. But that said its also another prime example of how UK TV people just dont understand our sport and the different aproach/attitudes we have to it compared with the rest of the world...........remember poor old Robson Green? I rest my case M'lud!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

You'd be surprised mate, I worked on the last Louis Theroux film, a main feature on the BBC schedules, filmed entirely on Mini DV, at the Beebs request! Formats now have to be cheap rather than top quality.

MiniDV has been cleared by the Beeb for ENG (Electronic News Gathering) for quite a few years now, so if the program was in a quasi documentary format...

Still, to be safe, I'd opt for one of the professional DV formats.

Geoff

I really don't think it matters, no one would refuse a commission because they didn't like the format, if the y wanted the show, it wouldn't matter what format it was on (VHS and Hi8 excepted ;))

I purely work in the broadcast world, in (although I say it myself) High end documentary work, and Mini DV is an accepted format, yeah I wish every job was on Digi Beta or even Hi Def, but DV is the norm now.

My bad, I thought you were a sound recordist (i.e. Production)? Terrestrial, cable or satellite broadcasting? Studio, OB? You probably run some of my work then (fame at last, lol!).

If you contact the channels you intend approaching to show the footage, they will supply you with submission guidelines. Many of the broadcasters guidelines are impossibly anal, so much so that if companies like Disney/BVHE have occasional trouble then you can see how difficult it can be for someone without their wealth of experience.

As I said, unless of course you're going down the ENG pseudo doc route, in which case standard DV might just do.

Ideally, you could get a production company interested form the outset, and they would set the format requirements, and liaise with the broadcasters.

Anyway, if any editing to broadcast spec. on any format used from Quad/2" up to IMX and HiDef is needed, hire the decks/scope/waveform/monitor and I'll have a go.

Geoff

I am a sound recordist, almost exclusively in documentaries, but always on location. Submission guidelines are something I have never ever, ever come across! The one current exception is the work I'm doing for Sky One, who insist everything is shot on HD, they are the only people I've ever known to stipulate.

Anyhoo, it's too late to be technical, we need some ideas for fishing telly, we need to make Andy Mac a star :)

A whole series I reckon on different species, each episode a diff fish I reckon (Pike, Roach/Rudd, Carp, Chub, Tench, Dace, Bream, Barblel is in fact THE perfect spread and THE perfect order :P ) each one has 3/4 different approaches/venues to catching them?!?! be hard to do with everyone so spread out over this massive country!!

Edited by mjbarnes12
wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

I'm sure there are loads of ideas we can come up with.

I thought of a whole series on the Thames: source to tidal. Relevant to all because of the very different nature of the river along it's length and the wide variety of species it holds. But here's the catch, publicly accessible bits only, so no one feels left out.

Edit: I am a dunce. I just thought, many modern broadcasters uses an automated cart system, and only have the one format of VT on the premises. Channel 4 used to be that way, they could only play D3's I think. The Turner channels (TNT, Cartoon Network, etc.) only Digibetas IIRC. The BBC can of course handle anything, even old 8mm cine (not even Super-8). Not a problem to transfer whatever to the required format, unless of course the original wasn't shot to EBU (Europena Broadcast Union) specs. Then you'll have to pay someone to bring it into spec.

Edited by Angly

Geoff