Anglersnet. skate bash.

spasor

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya,

Rockling:

An amazing fishing trip, with some quality fish caught and returned. Do you keep stats? The new fish seem smaller, any thoughts on this?

Rocky.

Yup it was an amazing trip :)

yes I do keep stats as part of the ongoing tagging programme, what did you have in mind?

As for the new fish being smaller well it's not always the case, we did certainly see a large amount of sub adult fish on this trip though. Sadly the reason behind the increase in the sub adults is not so good, small skate have only 2 predators... Man and larger Skate. During the mid 90ies the numbers of large skate caught in the Sound fell drastically, this coincided with the increase in pressure from the Oban charter boats. Sadly a lot of large fish were lost although they had been returned alive, due to bad handling and more importantly deep hooking. With this drop in numbers of large adult fish it meant less predation on the smaller skate, hence the increase in numbers now. A high majority of the skate we caught will have been less than 10 years old which is good in a way but poor when you look at the fact these fish can live over 50 years.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

The good thing to see though Davy is that there is a healthy mixture of recaptures and new fish what would be interesting would be to see when the recaptures were initially tagged and how many times they have been caught since. Is there web site with the data from the tagging program.

Hiya,

the only data publicly available is on my website and this will be added to over the next month or so when the next batch of info is available. :)

I'll give more detail on the recaptures tonight when I get home, though the database I have is out of date now and I'm not going to be holding a copy of the full database anymore. So unlike in the past I wont be giving recapture info out on the skate.

[ 15. June 2004, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

Davy Holt:

So unlike in the past I wont be giving recapture info out on the skate.    :(

Thats a shame, knowing how much, where, when and by whome of my recaptures was icing on the cake for me. eg, 2 of my skate were caught by the same angler a couple of years before I got lucky. I can understand with-holding locations but not the history.

Hope that makes sense :confused: :)

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Hiya Alan,

I know what you mean, I can still get the info no problem .. just not right there and then :)

It was a decision I made myself after recent events so yet again 1 person has spoiled it for the many

Davy

Hello you bunch of shumflers. :D:D

Before we all get carried away, by the skate trip of a lifetime. Let me also mention that at quieter moments we caught. Lsd`s, spurdogs, conger, coalies, pollack, red cod, thornies and blackmouth dogfish.

I always manage something a tad special on one of these trips. This time I baited my feathers with foul smelling carp boillies. The product of which was a 5lb spurdog. It just goes to show that, not all Angling Times freebies are useless?

I`ve mailed HG short report of the trip and suggested he take a peek at this thread. Just to show him what he`s missing.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

spasor:

Hello you bunch of shumflers.   :D      :D  

Paul.

Waaaaaaa.... Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

dont tell them about the shumfling.. we got to keep some secrets :)

Davy