WHAT A LETTER ARTICLE 47

big_cod

This is from a guy who worked in fishing industry and sent this letter to local MEP.

MEP/MP

Recreational sea angling and EU Article 47

It is with total dismay that we find the EU is planning to amalgamate angling catches with the commercial fishing sector quotas as a part of each countries national quota. ICES scientists throughout Europe have been working for in excess of 30 years to significantly reduce discards from the commercial fleets and to sustainably manage fish resources. One can only say that they with the help of policy makers and politicians have monumentally failed to protect our resources. We are all aware that trawlers discard on average 50% of their catch, and in shrimp and Nephrop fisheries discard levels are even higher. Research institutes around Europe have discard data that they are too scared to publish because they know how damaging this would be to the image of commercial fishing. A video captured by the Norwegian coastguard and published on the Guardian Newspaper website shows a British trawler blatantly ‘high grading’ that is dumping fish that has been boxed and stored in the fish-room when fish of a higher quality and hence greater value has been caught. This practice is commonplace within the commercial sector.

The catches from recreational fishing are but a fraction of what is being wasted on a daily basis by the commercial sector, through failed management policies, yet we continue to perpetuate this approach and destroy yet another sector the ‘recreational angler’. If we look at the UK history since the CFP was formed our large vessel fleet has been decimated, the under 10m inshore vessels has been forced out of business and now there is a serious attack on recreational fishermen. The cynic in me suggests that this is more about job protection and job creation for scientists , managers and our fisheries police than anything to do with sustainable fisheries.

I have worked in fisheries training and fisheries research, and have worked closely with the inspectorate and sea fisheries committees since the early 1970’s so speak with a great deal of experience of what has happened over the last few decades.

As a keen shore, boat and kayak angler who fishes predominately around the Humber estuary, I feel very bitter that anglers should now be persecuted for the outrageous failings of fisheries management policies, and if I felt in any way that this or the RSA licence scheme would in any way benefit our sport I would fully support it.

Regrettably all that it will do is destroy an invaluable leisure activity with monumental social and economic consequences within coastal communities around the shores of Britain and other Member States. There are millions of children throughout Europe who enjoy an invaluable hobby, learn a great deal about the coast and the natural world and how to respect nature through this sport. They now all run a severe risk of having this taken away from them, and spending more time playing computer games and getting involved in ant-social behaviour. We have already seen the detrimental effects of licensing angling in Portugal.

I would be truly grateful if you could bring these important points to the policy makers and others who will be voting on these issues.

Yours sincerely

LINK

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/no...tack-again/120/

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from a guy who worked in fishing industry and sent this letter to local MEP.

A video captured by the Norwegian coastguard and published on the Guardian Newspaper website shows a British trawler blatantly 'high grading' that is dumping fish that has been boxed and stored in the fish-room when fish of a higher quality and hence greater value has been caught. This practice is commonplace within the commercial sector.

I Think it speaks for its self

Youtube Video ->

:angry::angry::angry:

MEP/MP

It is with total dismay that we find the EU is planning to amalgamate angling catches with the commercial fishing sector quotas as a part of each countries national quota. ICES scientists throughout Europe have been working for in excess of 30 years to significantly reduce discards from the commercial fleets and to sustainably manage fish resources. One can only say that they with the help of policy makers and politicians have monumentally failed to protect our resources. We are all aware that trawlers discard on average 50% of their catch, and in shrimp and Nephrop fisheries discard levels are even higher. Research institutes around Europe have discard data that they are too scared to publish because they know how damaging this would be to the image of commercial fishing. A video captured by the Norwegian coastguard and published on the Guardian Newspaper website shows a British trawler blatantly ‘high grading’ that is dumping fish that has been boxed and stored in the fish-room when fish of a higher quality and hence greater value has been caught. This practice is commonplace within the commercial sector.

The catches from recreational fishing are but a fraction of what is being wasted on a daily basis by the commercial sector, through failed management policies, yet we continue to perpetuate this approach and destroy yet another sector the ‘recreational angler’. If we look at the UK history since the CFP was formed our large vessel fleet has been decimated, the under 10m inshore vessels has been forced out of business and now there is a serious attack on recreational fishermen. The cynic in me suggests that this is more about job protection and job creation for scientists , managers and our fisheries police than anything to do with sustainable fisheries.

I have worked in fisheries training and fisheries research, and have worked closely with the inspectorate and sea fisheries committees since the early 1970’s so speak with a great deal of experience of what has happened over the last few decades.

As a keen shore, boat and kayak angler who fishes predominately around the Humber estuary, I feel very bitter that anglers should now be persecuted for the outrageous failings of fisheries management policies, and if I felt in any way that this or the RSA licence scheme would in any way benefit our sport I would fully support it.

Regrettably all that it will do is destroy an invaluable leisure activity with monumental social and economic consequences within coastal communities around the shores of Britain and other Member States. There are millions of children throughout Europe who enjoy an invaluable hobby, learn a great deal about the coast and the natural world and how to respect nature through this sport. They now all run a severe risk of having this taken away from them, and spending more time playing computer games and getting involved in ant-social behaviour. We have already seen the detrimental effects of licensing angling in Portugal.

I would be truly grateful if you could bring these important points to the policy makers and others who will be voting on these issues.

Yours sincerely

LINK

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/no...tack-again/120/

Well done for showing up fisheries mis-management for what it is. And for recognising the dangers that lie ahead, if we let them try to manage us.

:thumbs:

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

MEP/MP

Yours sincerely

LINK

Totally agree with the above, Accurate discription of what we are looking at today, well done that man.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

This is rather a strange moment. All the people I usually disagree with are in the same place all agreeing on the same thing.

This is indeed a quality letter. Probably one of the best I ever read. It addresses the real issues we currently face. If this man was head of BASS, SACN or ANGLING TRUST then I would sign a direct debit form tomorrow.

Why are angling reps unable to defend our sport like this guy just has ?

This is rather a strange moment. All the people I usually disagree with are in the same place all agreeing on the same thing.

This is indeed a quality letter. Probably one of the best I ever read. It addresses the real issues we currently face. If this man was head of BASS, SACN or ANGLING TRUST then I would sign a direct debit form tomorrow.

Why are angling reps unable to defend our sport like this guy just has ?

Disagree with that. :P

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

:D:o

But show me one place that BASS, SACN or NFSA ever took task with DEFRA or the EU over discards. They all dance around the issue and prefer to discuss nets on beaches.

Point i would like to make Glenn is that there could be a continuation of rep bashing carried on regardless. Whatever. From sacn a post stating there is already eu regulation in place, regarding the rsa count. Continual pressure from the eu and defra org, all wanting a slice of the action of the rsa experiance for what end, don't ask me. However, who are the real rsa opponents, it can't be the reps can it? Then you have people who last week put crap articles in angling papers, intimating that licences and bag limits, are the way forward . Followed by people in authority that can cause real damage to the rsa, what i detail below. Sorry it is long winded, however once read you will understand. All of it is based on hearsay, conjecture, pubtalk and incorrect assumptions. No hard evidence. What chance have the rsa really got and they haven't broke anything. A post i put on another web site today.

..........................However i certainly do not wish to loose sight of what i consider to be reasons why the likes of the rsa have jumped up and down on this issue. The detail i attach below is self explanatory and is also a concern for the future of the charter boat industry and the rsa. At best it could be described as ambiguous or could be described as misleading with intent to disparage the rsa.

Quote:

........so the seed of RSA damaging the fish stocks was sown, and, whilst they were sowing that seed they popped another one in there for good measure and that was the “RSA selling their catch”,

If you need evidence to support this theory you only need look at some of the quarterly reports by Chief Fishery Officers to the Sea Fisheries Committee members, and I now quote from just two such reports,

“The increased effort of anglers targeting and keeping the bigger bass using live mackerel for bait has again been raised as a concern. The fear is that these larger fish with their reproductive ability will be wiped out which will impact future stocks.”

“An officer from the Marine Fisheries Agency and I visited a local fish merchant in August, following reports that the merchant had bought a Porbeagle shark from an unlicensed angler for distribution. No formal action has been taken in this matter.”

“Landing of fish by unregistered boats still going on. With better weather, charter boats now able to get to offshore wrecks and around the Channel Islands. Landings are now also on the increase. With better weather and lighter evenings part-timers are now back on the scene landing to back door establishments.”

“The new scam now seems to be to paint on WH numbers which have not been issued to try to imply that these boats are legally registered. Many of these boats being towed to Weymouth on trailers from away and yet again catches being taken back home and sold to hotels and shops.”

“It has been reported that large numbers of unregistered boats have been landing not only bass but also other fish such as cod, Pollack, brill and turbot. This activity takes place at night and at weekends and the genuine full time fishermen feel let down that very little appears to

happen to enforce the rules.”

“Several complaints of premises selling local caught sea bass, all of which are undersize, have been made followed by the comment that ‘they must have come from anglers’. I have investigated each one and have found in every case they have been farmed bass.”

“There have been a few private non-registered boats in Weymouth fishing everyday and landing a large quantity of fish. I have spent a good deal of time looking into this and I have also been assisted by Andy Perry from MFA but unfortunately I am hard pressed to do much more to stop this activity and this is really frustrating as I feel I am letting down the commercial anglers in my area. Details have been passed on to the local MFA office.”

“Part-time and unlicensed boats landing quantities of prime fish into Weymouth mostly at weekends to local establishments. It now seems that divers are also in on the act landing large

amounts of plaice.”

“Part-time and unlicensed boats landing quantities of prime fish into Weymouth mostly at weekends to local establishments.”

“Once again angling boats landing Pollack, cod and some turbot, It seems they want the best of both worlds – to sell their licence and still land and sell any fish they catch.”

The “they” mentioned in the above statement is referring to Charter Boats! end Quote.

Edited by barry luxton

Barry we have to be very carefull that the genuine angler who goes out on a boat has a days fishing and takes home his catch to eat isnt roped in to all this the all this is a golden opporotunity for the boys in uniform to create jobs for themselvs .

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg