Military ID cards

Emma two

Just 24 hours earlier they had been fighting on the front line in Afghanistan. But that wasn't enough to get two marines through the doors of a pub for a homecoming pint. Dan Buchanan and Kelvin Billings were stunned when doormen at the J D Wetherspoons in Guildhall Walk, Portsmouth, refused them entry. They showed their military ID which includes their date of birth but Wetherspoons said the cards were not acceptable as evidence of proof of age

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/Why-i...-not.4936685.jp

Wetherspoons say it was the Police that told them what id they could accept.

whenasked if this was nationwide...no comment

when asked, as they were a large company had they raised concerns of not accepting Military ID...No comment

Wetherspoons have the chance to raise their profile, by fighting this for the military..until they do...I won`t be spending my money with them

It looks like the story is getting bigger now with some national papers running the story

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...ilitary-ID.html

and

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/83061/...ve-on-frontline

The best option would be to have a government legislate to make military IDs a nationally recognised form of ID. That way all establishments would have to accept them along with passports or driving licences. At the same time they can make it a crime to discriminate against military personnel regardless of whether they are in uniform or not.

Just boycotting Wetherspoons is not enough, A petition has just been started to make the forces identity card a nationally recognised form of ID.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/forces-id...=df042b7.ad11b9

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I refuse to use a Whetherspoons on principle...simply because they're a rubbish facility, IMO.

Incompetent staff...I've raised complaints about 3 different places and had wholly unsatisfactory replies. Appalling food and food service, appalling staff attitude and 'iffy' condition of various beers.

Not entirelt unrelatedly, I saw a programme on BBC1 a few months ago and the boss of Whetherspoons was a guest on there...he came over like an oleaginous slob.

As regards, what they've done with these marines.... beneath contempt.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

If I were the MOD I'd be having a quite chat with the grunts involved about having higher standards! Wetherspoons? :blink:

Geoff

Remindes me of a problem I had many years ago, a MOD90 would guarantee a cheque for £25, I tried to get on a Ferry with a cheque for £12 using my ID Card, matey, normal, short arsed geek with thick glasses looked past me to the bloke next in the queue and said "Can I help you, unless this chap has got any cash he is out of the queue........."

I think I may have hit him (just in case the law on two picks at the cherry has changed!)

DavyR and a couple are going to correct me.........

"For it's Soldier this and Soldier that and give the fella the boot, but 'tis saviour of our Country when guns begin to shoot..................."

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

'Tommy'

Rudyard Kipling

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,

The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."

The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,

I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";

But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,

The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,

O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,

They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;

They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,

But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";

But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,

The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,

O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep

Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;

An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit

Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"

But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,

The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,

O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,

But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;

An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,

Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",

But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,

There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,

O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:

We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.

Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face

The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"

But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;

An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;

An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I think that was a different scenario Steve. A large percentage of the UK public are against the illegal invasion of Iraq, especially as it's to aid an outlaw country (the US became an outlaw country when it refused to be bound by the terms of the World Court) who has allowed fund-raising for terrorist organisations that have targeted UK men women and children on UK soil, and who initially sided with the enemy in the Falklands War. OK, that's not to say the military personnel agree with it either, but some venues aren't prepared to lose custom by taking the risk.

Geoff

I think that was a different scenario Steve. A large percentage of the UK public are against the illegal invasion of Iraq, especially as it's to aid an outlaw country (the US became an outlaw country when it refused to be bound by the terms of the World Court) who has allowed fund-raising for terrorist organisations that have targeted UK men women and children on UK soil, and who initially sided with the enemy in the Falklands War. OK, that's not to say the military personnel agree with it either, but some venues aren't prepared to lose custom by taking the risk.

If the USA had not 'bought up' all available excocets on the Market, and indicated a continuing demand, despite having their own ASW capability we might have suffered even more.

Easy to judge and pass comment when the full facts will not be known for the next 76 years.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."