Weighting butt to balance rod?

Angly

Following on from this thread: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Trottin...e-t1181595.html

I have experimented with my float rod and discovered that with either my centre pin or 2500 size fixed spool reel, in order to balance the rod pivoting just in front of the reel foot, I need to add approximately 6oz of weight to the end of the butt. Having taped this amount of weight on, I must say it does feel very nice indeed.

So my question to those with more experience than I (so that's probably the whole forum!), should I do it? Bear in mind my rod is no lightweight anyway at 230g, which makes 400g with the added weight. My mind is saying don't be stupid man, my heart is saying go for it, it DOES feel better.

If it has any bearing on the subject, I don't intend to spend any money here. I have lead to hand, and a new lighter prefectly balanced rod is not an option!

Help! :mellow:

Geoff

Stick a cork a few inches up the butt to act as a plug and then put your 6 oz of lead in behind the cork so it doesn't slide around, causing damage to the rod and then replace the butt-cap. I did the same thing with a beach rod and it worked a treat.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I used to wrap airgun pellets in cling film in the shape of a tube remove the butt cap and slide them in that way nice and tight, they never moved job done!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

There you go Angly. Similar ideas to your own. Much of a sameness but just make sure it's not a permanent fixture in case you want to sell the rod on. The next owner might not appreciate it or a different reel might through it off balance again.

.....Andy..... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

So not a ridiculous idea then chaps?

I was half expecting someone to say, "Sure, I'd add a little weight to balance a rod...but 6oz!!!???"

Obviously it's not the end of the world if I don't epoxy the weight in and use one of your ideas, as I can just take it out again should I need to.

Edit: Typed before I saw your second post Andy.

Edited by Angly

Geoff

I was half expecting someone to say, "Sure, I'd add a little weight to balance a rod...but 6oz!!!???"

Obviously it's not the end of the world if I don't epoxy the weight in and use one of your ideas, as I can just take it out again should I need to.

Edit: Typed before I saw your second post Andy.

If it feels right and makes fishing that rod more comfortable then do it.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

On an old fibre glass rod I had to add just over 8oz to balance it. Though actually heavier, the fact that it was balanced made it feel lighter, and much easier to use.

As it's been said, If it feels better to you, that's all that matters.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I would say try it with temporary weight taped to the butt and see how it feels after a session. 6 ounces is an awful lot of weight (my Youngs Bob James reel weighs 8½) and although a quick balance might make it seem better you've still got to carry an extra 6 ounces of weight around all day, could be a real pain if trotting.

Don't make any permanent mods until you've tried it, you might just make a different set of muscles ache. A lighter rod would be the answer (edit: forget that, it's not an option).

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Angly - for what its worth, most of the better US lure rods are designed to use a weight kit attached to the butt (usually a screw fitting that is covered by a plug for anglers who don't want to balance the rigged rod).

The kits come with the fitting and some number of weights so you can use as few or as many as you need.

A balanced rig, regardless of how much weight it takes to balance it, will feel lighter and more responsive than if it were unbalanced. For lure angling where you make repeated casts, a balanced rig will need much less effort and will be much more comfortable.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

"counter balancing! our old glass float rods was quite common.In fact some manufacturers (ABU for one who were a market leader then) marketed both rods with this option and "add on" kits.

These days I read both for and against this from varied experienced anglers.Maybe things are different with carbon? I must admit Ive not felt the need to "counter balance" any of my modern 13-14' float rods but have considered loading my 17' butt.

I think the best advice is to give it a go and see for yourself (or should that be feel for yourself!) can always change it back easily enough if it doesnt suit.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!