Mega Bivvies

Dick Dastardly

For some years now I have been contemplating a really big bivvy for my extended foreign trips.For normal angling I have never found the need for a bigger one than my Nash Oval but for long sessions abroad I think a real biggy would be nice.All the extra gear to be stored and sometimes being "trapped" in one for several days due to storms have made me come to this conclusion.

So what do you reccomend for both size and stability? Have had experience of the two man Cypry Dome and my brothers Fox Euro Dome(?)

Anyone reccomend a shop local to me (SE) that carries a wide range and has them set up so I could compare?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budgie, not being a bivvie man I might be missing an obvious answer to this question, but is there any real difference between a bivvie and a proper dome tent? I ask because they look the same and campimg equipment is very cheap at the moment(end of season etc) and I did see an excellent range of small to large dome tents in Milletts the other day. They might not be camo colours but they looked good value.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Hi Budgie my brother bought a Gelert tornado 4 from Halfords of all places for 50 quid it has plenty of room and has an inner and outer tent . a good buy if you need something bigger than a bivvy...rob

when you think you know everything think again....

an-budgie1.jpg

or if that is a little too large

an-budgie2.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt! The problem seems to be that the size of bivvy/tent I want falls somewhere between a fishing bivvy and a camping tent! The quality and value for money of the camping gear far exceeds the fishing gear.Will keep searching through the online outfitters but any reccomendations still apreciated.

Thanks Rob will have a look to see if there is an online Halfords catalogue.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Newt, didn't you once post a photo of a tent with a built-in garage?

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Budgie, have a look at the Daiwa Infinity 2 Man,

I have one and though it takes me about 15 mins to erect as opposed to 4 mins for my Trakka Dillo and 3 mins for my easy Dome, it is well worth the extra time and effort!

Anything that carries the 'Infinity' Logo is quality, and I can well recommend them.

If you want an almost disposable tent for foreign trips, the one to go for is the Gelerte Renesse 3, which you should be able to get for under £81.95

Try Bucks Camping near Milton Keynes and you might pick up an end of season bargain. Tel:01296 728770. I have no connection with them, but I wrote a magazine feature on them earlier in the year.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.