Words fail me

five bellies

Judging by the number (and length) of posts, the title of this thread seems inappropriate.

I see it's got round to the 'smacking debate' again. I'm glad we have agreed on the word 'smack' and not substituted it with beating, thrashing, leathering etc.

In the last thread where this was brought up, I mentioned that along with other methods, I did on occasion find that a smack on the leg or backside, was appropriate.

I went on the describe my two kids now, and said that I must have been lucky to had raised them to be well adjusted and responsible adults.

Someone, (I think it was you Emma) said that luck had little to do with it, and thought I had brought my kids up with decency.

Is that not the opposite to what some are saying? According to some on here I should have turned my kids into bullies, who terrorized the community.

I think it's time people stopped trying to score points by the use of exaggerated examples, and concede that there are parents and kids that respond/react to different things, (not always in a negative way). I knew what was a 'punishment' to my kids, the same thing wasn't to some of their mates.

I took responsibility for the welfare and upbringing of them, and as such I deemed what was appropriate at the time. If I thought the situation could be brought under control with a sharp word, then that was what was used. If I thought a 'smack' was necessary then that was used. I was the parent and as such used my judgement at the time.

If I had to do it all over again, I would make the same judgements, based on the same situations, and hopefully have the same results. Regardless of what any bystander thought or said.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's time people stopped trying to score points by the use of exaggerated examples, and concede that there are parents and kids that respond/react to different things, (not always in a negative way). I knew what was a 'punishment' to my kids, the same thing wasn't to some of their mates.

I took responsibility for the welfare and upbringing of them, and as such I deemed what was appropriate at the time. If I though the situation could be brought under control with a sharp word, then that was what was used. If I thought a 'smack' was necessary then that was used. I was the parent and as such used my judgement at the time.

If I had to do it all over again, I would make the same judgements, based on the same situations, and hopefully have the same results. Regardless of what any bystander thought or said.

John.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Well done John - I totally agree - we were being demonised for using what we thought (and proved with our children) was a good way of raising our kids!!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

It is the mentality of those who drop dogs from great heights for fun that is most worrying, but this type of person has always been there along with the other criminal elements & always will be regardless of the deterrents.

I reckon the problem of discipline has as much to do with the society that has been allowed to develop over the last 30 or 40 years as it has with the way people are punished, the old social values have gone out the window . We have gone from hangings & corporal punishment, to a point where the offender is seen as a victim of circumstance and has more rights than the rest of us, or so it seems, this makes the parent/teacher/police feel reluctant to take any corrective action at all, and some of the rest of us are frustrated to the point where we suggest extreme solutions.

The answer must be in the middle ground somewhere, but that will mean taking at least one step back the other way. Obviously the way we have been dealing with bad behaviour is not working.

Edited by Rich_

what about donkey dropping :whistling:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

what about donkey droppings :whistling:

I've heard it's good for the roses. :)

Or is that Bull S**t? :unsure:

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John