Fishing Eels in London

Pike71

Peter M

The footnote on your post reads "Kill nothing but time - Take nothing but photographs - Leave nothing but footprints." Why on earth are you then giving tips on eel location to half-wits that fish for eels to eat?

Mark

Thats my fault for not reading his posts properly, i didn't read the bit about him wanting to eat them. To be honest i have not caught an eel at those venues since the 1990's (and i have not fished these places for about three years). I don't even like taking sea fish for the pot and try to put back all the fish i catch althugh some sea fish don't really go back like Mackerel. I used to catch loads of eels as a kid but since returning to fishing about 15 years ago i have only caught a handful of eels (and i put them all back).

note to self read all of the posts before replying.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Thats my fault for not reading his posts properly, i didn't read the bit about him wanting to eat them. To be honest i have not caught an eel at those venues since the 1990's (and i have not fished these places for about three years). I don't even like taking sea fish for the pot and try to put back all the fish i catch althugh some sea fish don't really go back like Mackerel. I used to catch loads of eels as a kid but since returning to fishing about 15 years ago i have only caught a handful of eels (and i put them all back).

note to self read all of the posts before replying.

Hi Peter

Fair enough. My apologies for rather enthusiastic response, then.

Regards

Mark

No close season there and you don't even need a rod licence if you are fishing for sea fish. Use lobworms for bait. You might even catch a flounder or two.

No but as you are fishing for eels you do need a licence regardless of where it is. If you are caught with an eel and no rod licence for catching eels you will (should) be done. It is up to the bailiff to decide what you are fishing for not for you to tell him!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Hi Peter

Fair enough. My apologies for rather enthusiastic response, then.

Regards

Mark

No worries mate.

i agree we should make a stand even if the proportion of anglers who are taking fish is small its more about a message we are sending and about us taking a stand. We should not be taking fish for the pot where they are endagered and i would go so far as to not use them bought from a tackle shop for pike fishing either while they remain under so much pressure.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've not been on here for ages.

Nothing much seems to have changed.

Well done to Mark and Dave for flying the NAC banner.

For those who don't remember me, I talked a lot about the eel decline. long before it was common knowledge. I lobbied the EA and Defra, putting the concerns of the UK eel anglers over the falling eel and elver numbers and also the un-controlled commercial eel and elver fisheries.

Well where are we up to now??

Well. there has been world wide recognition of the problems facing the eel. The EA and Defra in the UK have put the EMP's together. following on from the European Eel resolution , which Clive Dennison and I drafted for the EAA, some time ago now.

The wheels turn very slowly. but they are turning. It has been suggested, and correctly so that the focus of attention be on the commercial trade in eels. That was our aim for many years. That work will see maturity in the future. starting I believe with controlled or even a total ban on elver netting. This is already being muted along with registered dealerships, which was a proposal in the MAFF review.

To the lad who posted his original question and to those who have replied. Eels ARE in a state of serious decline. there are isolated populations which seem to go against this line of thought. But you must always remember that the European Eel, (Anguilla anguilla) is a European wide species. The species cannot rely on some restrictions in some areas. but there needs to be a European wide ban on the export of elvers to the far east.

There was a bird once called the Dodo (Raphus cucullatus) eaten by sailers who thought they where not doing any harm. we all know how that story ends.

I am not going to preach about taking eels for the pot. you can make your own minds up on that one. but remember as Leon pointed out eels are used by scientists as indicators as to how polluted and what levels of chemicals/ toxins are present in our waterways. as the spend much of there time buried in the silt, their flesh absorbs these chemicals, some of which are very nasty. if you still want to eat eels after reading this then you must have eaten too many already.

http://www.thermo.com/eThermo/CMA/PDFs/Var.../File_31118.pdf

Thats just one paper there are loads on the net if you don't believe me.

Regards,

Tony.

No worries mate.

i agree we should make a stand even if the proportion of anglers who are taking fish is small its more about a message we are sending and about us taking a stand. We should not be taking fish for the pot where they are endagered and i would go so far as to not use them bought from a tackle shop for pike fishing either while they remain under so much pressure.

Tony B.T Jolley

• 4 years later...

Hi mate. I have fished the Thames for around 40 years for eels. Best bait is earth worm. Followed by raw bacon or diced raw chicken . I use a sliding 2oz lead and size 6 or 8 long shank hook 18 inch from lead stop. There are many points along the Thames you can fish ,just pick one that suits you for acces. Best time is early evening to early hours, some people have said about they would,nt eat fish caught there because of problems with them. I have done over the years with no problem. So it's up to you. People also moan about us taking some eels for eating. Yet I was near erith Kent today just visiting and there are buoys out there where a local has traps out catching many eels to sell.as told to me by a local. Surely this is more wrong than us taking a odd one to eat.. Anyway good luck ,hope I could be of some help ....ed

Rocksteadyeddy61,

OOPS ! First a big welcome to AN.

Now the oops. This thread is really OLD. See, up above the beginning of the dialogue is the time and date in light gray. (2009)

You've made a really interesting post. How about going to the "Coarse" section and starting a new thread. Lot of guys like to talk about eels.

Phone