Reel advice

Fishy Dom

Hi everyone, i'm a new visitor and wanted some adice. I need some new bait runners and wondered what everyone is currently using and what you think of them? I was thinking about getting the new Shimano XTE 10000's has anyone got these and are they any good? I know the reviews are good but wanted some first hand advice,

Cheers

Dom

"Carp are hard to catch in the winter, that also goes for the spring, summer, and the autumn"

Hi Dom,

Welcome to the board.

I, too, am looking forward to some good responses from the hardcore carpers here.

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi Dom,

Like you I've also been looking at these reels as I'm looking at changing my reels. One of my mates bought a pair of the 10000's not long after they came out and has not been able to fault them but he only fishes small waters (no more than 5 acres) and only for carp.

Reason I have hesitated in buying them.

1) The clutch is at the back (like most bait runners)and I fish overseas for other fish as well as carp and have heard stories from experienced anglers that rear clutches are not as reliable as front ones and can break especially if fishing for cat fish.

2) Possibly want a big pit type reel (should allow me to fish further out, and deeper waters), the disadvantage with these are they are heavier and bigger.

Haven't decided myself the 10000s seem great reels, just feel I might be better buying a big pit type as the price difference is only about £30 if you look at the Shimanos, and they will cover me for more fishing situations. The new Daiwas sound good but they are twice the price (even discounted). In an ideal world I would buy both but can't justify the expense.

The reel I use and like is the Shimano BTR-6500A (don't think they are now sold in the uk)which is another baitrunner with a front clutch but is smaller than the big pit but not as small as the 10000s

I suspect if I only fished uk waters I would have bought the 10000s by now.

Hopefully there will be others on here who can help us further.

Dom,

As Paul has said, the need for a XTE 10,000 is a matter of choice. If the distance factor is a point, these are said to have the extra line capacity, but not as much as the Big Pit versions. They allow you to cast longer distances or use a boat to carry your line out without worry. The point is, do you want to deal with the heaver weight? I have the US 6500s also and LOVE them for the front drag facility. I have used them for Fresh and Salt water without a problem. I also have a BigPit that has been set up for the long requirements, but as stated HEAVY. The rear drag verses the front drag question????? I to beleive that a front drag will be mechanicly stronger, but each to his or her own. Price is an issue that each must decide. :)

HOPPY

Chaps,

I was considering the 10000's but really rhe spool size is purely deeper, not LONGER, where you would gain extra yards. Deeper spools don't help you cast further.

I didn't want to fork out for the LC Big Baitrunners. They look huge and weigh far too much in my opinion. Ask yourself if you really need a baitrunner? I ended up picking up 3 Shimano GT7000 Biomasters, which have a clutch which goes from "baitrunner type looseness" to fully tight in about half a turn. Just as good as a baitrunner! Spent £57 each on three. Don't get blinkered into buying bsitrunners just for the sake of it, as if you are fishing 100yrds+, the baitrunner facility is less necessary.

Cheers

Chris

I would go for big pit types reels Daiwa emblems are very good as are the Shimano big pit baitrunners. As for the shimano GT7000's or similar give them a wide berth. The clutch may go from loose to very tight in half a turn but that's bad, how can you get any sort of consistant fine control ? Also they fall apart more rapidly than the Daiwas (or at least mine did).

If the casting distance isn't an issue then go for the XTE's. I know a few people that have them and really like them but for me the line capacity/smaller spools turned me away.

Rob.

Ive got XTE`s and big pits, long casting I can't fault the big pits but for general use the XTE`s are great.

XTE`s have the same layout as a GTE but better drag and no flex with a metal spool, don't think you will cast to the horizon, the 10000 rating is due to spool capacity not size, its deep but only a few mils bigger than a 6000 or 8000 spool. Will make a good reel for lighter rods and boating baits out but if you like the reels you have got only change if distance is a factor :)

I've just ordered 3 Aelex 6000s from Leslies of Luton. Can't go wrong for £42 + postage.

The 10 000s are nice, but the only difference between them and the normal Baitrunner, is the spool depth. Why not get the cheaper ones like the 8000, but get an extra "10 000" spool for each? They go straight on. Use the standard spools for medium range, the deeper spool for long range.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org