the hair rig

Phone

I'll jump right in with an old story that is circulating again here in the US.

The history of the hair rig goes something like this:

"The first known hair rig was invented at a Davie County NC paylake in the 1940 - 50's by a couple service men from the area. Somebody said "WTF is THAT???. Looks like something to snare a rabbit with.". Locally (North Carolina USA) it then jokingly became known as a "Hare Rig".

The Brits probably didn't know the story and mispelled it as "Hair Rig"."

Do you believe this story? You know I kinda believe it, maybe(?) What is the UK version of the history of the "hair rig".

Phone

Hi Phone, I take it that you are the same Phone as inhabited this forum a few years back. That being the case then welcome back, kinda missed you.

Phone, it goes back to medieval times when monks kept carp as food. You will have noticed pictures that show that all medieval monks were bald, that's why they had warm hoods on their cassocks. The hair rig was made of human hair, and the monks either went hungry or tore their own hair out, hence that well known expression.

Edited by Peter Waller

Hi Phone, I take it that you are the same Phone as inhabited this forum a few years back. That being the case then welcome back, kinda missed you.

Possibly, but that was Phonebush.

The first hair rig was made with pubic hair for crabs fishing.

Yes, I'm the same guy. "Phonebush" I couldn't figure out how to get a new password and forgot mine. So I just signed up again as Phone.

I'm not buying the monk story even 1%.

You buying my story?

Phone

Phone, I dunno about the Brits but if you're selling, I'm buying. :D :D

Glad you are back under any name.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Boilie-...n-t1138951.html

It was a German invention in the 1930's they must have got fed up with not catching so ''HEIR'' Hitler had another solution :)

AN debated the origin of the hair rig back in 2007

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/invents...French+hair+rig

The current edition of "Classic Angling" (No 58 March/April 2009) has an article on this very subject.

It was also the subject of an article in "Waterlog" by Dexter Petley some years back.

It is only the angling comics that think it is a recent invention.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

It was a German invention in the 1930's they must have got fed up with not catching so ''HEIR'' Hitler had another solution

Yes, not only was the original rig the "Herr" rig, but the spherical baits attached to the "Herr" were called "Go-balls" (as an improvement on "Dough-balls")

Inevitably, the British Army made up a rude marching song about it, and the Krauts complained, so the politically correct term is now "boilies" so as to avoid giving offence to the Master Race.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I think in terms of when 'was it invented which resulted in wide-public useage and commercial success?' then I think the late 1970's/early 1980's seems to be about the time (lenny middleton and co?)

The notion of suspending a bait from the shank/turn of a hook by a thread/hair was no doubt being used somewhere way before the 'boilie and hair-rig' revolution. I remember reading an article in a book dated somewhere around the 1950's by Richard Walker which was, in essense, about 'hair rigging' deadbaits from a single treble hook to avoid deep hooking pike. If I can remember which book the article is in I will post some more details on it.

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries