Fishing with 3 rods

Geoff johnson

Hi Geoff, yeh i fish with three rods and I find it helps with the options of bait and tactics, especially when youre not sure of what might be working at that time. Oh! and don't forget, it gives you that extra chance of catching!!!

Tbone

strange you should ask this, today was the first time I have ever used three rods, as I have just upgraded from a 2-rod setup, to a 3-rod. I also managed to try out this theory, and it gave me an extra possibilty. The 3rd rod gave me a chance to experiment with a particular bait, in this case, it worked and i managed 2 fish. If I had a 2-rod setup I would never have used this bait, which may have resulted in a blank!

Whatever floats your boat...

See how I float mine, here

A third rod's handy for casting to showing fish or as a roving rod, saves disturbing rods you think are in the right place.

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Personally, 3 rods are a necessity. I feel realy dissapointed if for some reason I can't use my third rod. Most of the time when this happens, there are 3 perfect places to cast to and I can only choose two (sod's law or what?! :mad: ) Go for it Geoff!

Tbone

I often use between one and up to four rods.All depends on the situation.Dont forget that one well placed rod is better than four wrongly! I often hear people knocking multiple rod tactics but on SOME waters they are essential for sport of any kind! Other times though I see people hindering themselves by trying to use to many.Just use a bit of thought and sense.Just cause you have and can use four doesnt mean you have to!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

4 Rods I'm shocked.

Oops - almost forgot. Not unusual to see a boat rigged to troll for crappie (that's a US fish, folks :D ) with 2 or 3 of these mounted in the stern of the boat and a rod in each holder.

an-crappie-troll.jpg

They cruise slowly along the lake with light, long rods rigged with small jigs (lead head and a light wire #10 or #8 hook) on a 4lb mainline.

[ 16. February 2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I agree with Budgie on this

I use to regularly fish with a mate and we would find that lines in the water reduced or even stopped takes on some lakes we fished due to the fish just not going into an area where lines were.

Less often means more on the more pressured waters

You certainly can fish with 4 rods very successfully if you're prepared for it and I have for many years. But only fish with as many rods as you can think with - i.e. if you forget where it is and what its doing you shouldnt have cast it out. Take 3 or 4 rods but only fish them if you know they are a benefit not a hinderance.

3 gives you more options for casting around etc but the novelty wears off after a while and you end up setting 3 traps and wishing for a 4th rod!!! dont forget to buy yourself an second rod licence to allow you to fish more than one rod