Fish size increase could this be the reason?

RUDD

How many of you have sat and watched athletics or weightlifting on the box?

Just think about them Eastern european female shot putters, discus throwers, weight lifters etc etc etc and how manley and muscley they are.

The reason - over use of steriods.

Ok steriods build up muscles.

But over use of steriods causes hormone and other changes in the body which can lead to the body changing sex.

Now think about what is happening in our rivers and possibley stillwaters.

Fish are changing sex and getting bigger and bigger.

Do you think the two are linked?

Could there be something in the water.

Water that is recycled and drank by ourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

did you see 'should i be worried about' last week?

it analysed lots of drinking water samples and no traces of hormones were found in any of the authorities tested.

So there not present when we drink, and they would only be present when we discharge our waste, which then goes back to the treatment centres, the only way this would get into the watercourse would be through overspill such as the thames situation) or industrial pollution (which i doubt contiains any hormones, but nastier substances)

Im no expert but id say that the vast majority of water we fish in is either static water which would be present due to water table levels, or flowing water due to the rain/meltwater-river system.

Id say the link between freshwater marine changes and hormones is at best tenuous.

Like i say, im no expert but im sure there is an environmentally orientated fisheries expert around that could put us straight.

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand

imo the major reason for fish weight increases is simply bait. Waters are seeing large quantities of specifically designed highly nutritional fish food, pellet, boilies etc. introduced and this is impacting all species. i.e. many carp waters now more heavily fished and baited are chucking up numerous double figure bream and big tench.

Something in the water.

High protein bait.

Global warming.

Less small fish (due to cormorants?)

More natural food.

Maybe all having an effect.

RUDD

It would be interesting to see tests done on the reaction, if any, on human performance enhancing drugs and human hormones on fish. We could then calculate the amount of these 'polutants' there are in our water and extrapolate the effect on the fish population.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

the fish population in the river aire in yorkshire showed substantial sex based changes due to the introduction of hormones via human waste, I had assumed that this was a problem evereywhere.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

So if Peta or the likes do not succede to get angling banned, in years to come the sport/hobby/art/whatever will have run out of fish to catch due to cormorants, few male fish,floods, droughts, pollution, water abstraction, crayfish eating whatever eggs do manage to get laid or Eastern europeans eating them all!!!!!!

RUDD