Tiger Nuts

mkj

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting question!.Boilies were supposed to be a selective bait and now most species can be caught on them,Even fish that have never seen a boilie before.Does this apply to tiger nuts as well.For instance,will Tench eat them and therefore would be worth trying.

P.S. what were tiger nuts first used for,were they used as a health food for humans?... :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have alway soaked tiger nuts overnight ... and then boiled them for at least 2 hours .... After this I add my own flavourings to the water ... The flavouring levels are low as the nuts would have soaked up most of the water already but it can give u a bit of an edge ...

A good 1 is to add really sweet addictives ... mind you it depends on what venue u are on !!

OUTrageous

Used as food for humans and some critters that liked to dig for them. Way before "health food" was a concept though.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Chris M,

Put the additives in before the overnight soak & let the tigers take it in, much better.

If you use sugar to sweeten the tiger nuts, make sure it's well dissolved in boiling water & use boiling water to begin your presoak before cooking.

If you use cold water for the sugar it will not fully dissolve which will end up coating the tigers & stopping them from absorbing any water at all!!!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Just a word of caution, check that the water allows the use of tiger nuts. Many ban them because of the damage they can do if not properly prepared.

I ban all nuts at Wingham, but for a different reason. This is because carp in particular love nuts but derive little nutritional benefit from them. They just go straight through the system, and whilst their guts are full of nuts the fish can't eat anything else. Hence their growth rate suffers.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

soak for at least 36hrs,and boil for at least 30 mins.

its not true that other fish won't eat tigers,i've caught bream,tench and roach on tigernuts,although they are about as selective a bait you can get for carp. :)

Tigernuts or "Horchata de Chufa" to the locals that grow them are tubars of plants grown in European countries.

Origianlly used to create a milky drink and still used today.

If you holiday in Spain look out for the Chufa drink in the local cafe's...... Its a mikly nutty drink...... People even have it on their corn flakes instead of milk!!! has been drunk for many, many years...

If you want pure Tigernut concentrate by the litre I cant let you know were from.....