Stoves

Elton

My old Colemans need a bloody good service. They don't burn well and leave the pans really sooty :(

I'm thinking of changing to gas, but what's the general concensus here?

I can see that petrol would lead to cheaper running costs, but gas:

- would give a cleaner burn.

- would mean no 'smelly hands'.

What does everyone else think?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Been going backwards and forwards between petrol and gas for years now Elton.Still cant decide!For both long and short sessions,summer or winter both have their pros and cons.

With Coleman Double burners (the petrol version I have used the most) I have found they vary enormousely.Some last for years trouble free whilst others never work properly.I have owned a couple and serviced many more for others.Even with vapouriser tube changes some play up.Dont know why but its very annoying!Great if they are working properly though.

All gas burners I have used have certainly been clean and easy to use but the fuel isnt as readily available,takes longer to boil up and is very bulky to cart around (long session amounts any way)Used to be a problem in the winter with the gas staying liquid but I believe they have sorted this now(?)

As I said cant make my mind up.If I only did short sessions though I think I would go for a gas "Bluey" type single burner than the petrol "Sportster" type.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I use gas and wouldn't consider petrol again. Yes gas works out more pricey than petrol (not coleman fuel though) but I can get by with a largish cylinder of the expensive gas for 3 or 4 w/e sessions - perhaps 2 or 3 if used more heavily. That's about 6 or 7 quid a cylinder I think. So for me at the moment my gas lasts a few months so the cost is relatively low.

Plus you don't get the smell / stuff on your hands and cooking on low settings is OK, whereas colemans always seem to struggle at very low levels and splutter or burn very sooty.

Rob.

P.S. I think my gas stoves are both 'go-gas' models.

Gas every time. Was on a Coleman but got fed up with smelly hands from the fuel and dirty kettles. I also saw one go up in a bivvy once and that was enough for me. The angler did get out, fortunately.

Now I use a Primus folding single burner, does it all for me.

Mike

Join the SAA today for only £10.00 and help defend angling.

Be careful which gas stove you choose if you go that route Elton, gas does'nt burn well in the cold. If its freezing weather all you'l get is a simmer!

Having said that, i believe some of the primus ones and maybe others, have the fuel pipe going though the flame first, which means it burns strong all the time, but these work out comparatively very expensive!

Gas for me also.i used a coleman for years .dirty ,smelly and potentially more likely to explode in your face than gas.i have a small double burner cooker powered by a 4.5kg gas bottle which i can leave on very low in the bivvy and it just takes the chill out of the air.while some say to leave the bottle outside,i prefer to just have it inside the bivvy so that it doesnt get too cold in a heavy frost.(making sure there are no leaks with a soapy water test ).it might take a bit longer to boil water than petrol ,but hey,ive got all night... frosty

quote:

leave on very low in the bivvy and it just takes the chill out of the air

wizards, people have died doing what you suggest,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Elton, I bought a Sunngas single burner some months ago - available at Argos and most camping stores for about 15 squid. Lightweight, in its' own case, reliable. What more can you ask?

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I bought one of the alpine type gas stoves a couple of years ago made by go gas the same stove is now marketed by Karrimore used both in summer and the depths of winter it has proved to be a great tool in winter invert the gas cylinder for a better burn.

When buying gas make sure that you choose a propane butane mix for winter use it is a lot more efficient.

However for my longer session when I need more than one ring I still tend to use my Coleman twin burner.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan