Tench sesh at a small local pond

Guest tigger

Nice one Ian - in fact, several nice ones.

Just had a "tench" session at Wingham. Bright sun, East wind,

Fished float tackle 10' deep. Lift method, worms and maggots. Four pike and an eel! <_<

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a 2 ounce semi fixed lead on one rod and a running feeder on the other. I did notice the bobbin do a bit of dancing now and again on the free running rod as fish picked up the bait, felt resistance and spat it out again. None of that with the bolt rig, if they took it they where hooked and the bobbin just shot up and whacked on the rod. I used a size 12 drennan barbel hook on the bolt rig baited with three peices of corn hair rigged on to it. On the running line I used a size 14's drennan super spade with two peices of corn and four or five maggots squashed on. The two fish I lost at the net where both on the bolt rig rod. I think it was just down to me putting on to much pressure. Not counting the two fish I lost I landed four fish on each set up. I think your more likley to hook more fish on a bolt rig set up so I reckon that would be the set up I would use if out after SB's .....if they suck it in then there most likley hooked.

Good old corn & maggots then...nice to see nothing overly complicated/fancy being used

I have a very nice 2/3 acre gravel pit near me which I know holds tench to 9lb as I've witnessed an angler weigh one back in October...very, very weedy though and once it gets going I can imagine it's pretty tricky to fish

Guest tigger
Nice one Ian - in fact, several nice ones.

Just had a "tench" session at Wingham. Bright sun, East wind,

Fished float tackle 10' deep. Lift method, worms and maggots. Four pike and an eel! <_<

So it turned out to be a Pike and Eel session than :lol:

Neil, you'll have to take the old rake and clear a decent swim. Sounds like a good water though.

Looks like you had a good day tigger. Nice classic looking tench set up aswell. The way the weather has been the last few days i must admit my thoughts have been turning to the old tincas.

Edited by wayne baker

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Actually Gozzer I usually do fish the waggler combined with a very light float rod rather than those 1 1/4 test rods that do spoil it a bit. Belive it or not I was fishing in between 12 and 18 inch of water there so thought I'd have a change and try out the other two methods and see which was best, a sort of competition. As I said I reckon the bolt rig wins hands down over a free running set up for actual hook ups. I fished another virtually unfished water the other day and had some better sized tench and some rudd to over 2lb on the waggler but at night with a starlight attached.......great fun! It's good but I pine for my passion.....trotting on the river !

I'm glad to hear you fish 'properly' for them at times tigger. ;) (I think you know my opinion of bolt rigs :D )

This recent weather has got me pining for the rivers too, but we'll just have to wait.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest tigger
I'm glad to hear you fish 'properly' for them at times tigger. ;) (I think you know my opinion of bolt rigs :D )

This recent weather has got me pining for the rivers too, but we'll just have to wait.

John.

John I was like you until 3yrs back and hated the very thought of bolt rigs but they really do work well and are the best method to use in certain circumstances. As an example ...fishing at range. I think you should give the dreaded bolt rig a little try even though you don't like it, you never know, as it did with me it might grow on you. I don't use it all the time, far from it as like you I love watching a float or quivertip but it's good to use sometimes as an alternative.

John I was like you until 3yrs back and hated the very thought of bolt rigs but they really do work well and are the best method to use in certain circumstances. As an example ...fishing at range. I think you should give the dreaded bolt rig a little try even though you don't like it, you never know, as it did with me it might grow on you. I don't use it all the time, far from it as like you I love watching a float or quivertip but it's good to use sometimes as an alternative.

I know what you mean mate, but as we've discussed before, IMO the distinction between a 'bolt rig' and a 'set line' is too close for me to call.

I very rarely fish at any distance anyway, a good 95% of my fishing is done at a lot less that 20yds.

The float will always reign supreme for me. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Dam you Tigger and your pictures of Tincas!

I thought I had at last got them out of my system ready for this years Bream campaign....but after reading this and all Im now in two minds as what to target on this weeks comming session! Especially with some big fish having shown from the water recently!

Heck who am I kidding! No matter if I target the Tench or the Bream Im still going to catch eels! At least Vagabond managed pike as well! :rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!