How does it begin?

slodger

How do ponds etc become naturally stocked with fish? I'm not sold on the idea of fish eggs getting stuck to wildfowl's legs. It may have happened at some point, but I'm sure it's highly unlikely.

So how does it happen? Other than floods or angler assistance, how do fish become established in virgin waters?

One theory I've considered is that fish eggs can be washed along underground chalk aquifers, but not all terrain is chalk based is it?

Anyone got any theory or fact to offer?

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Frogs toads and newts... and possibly otter sh1t.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I'm going to have to go with bird's.

But not just on thier feet, maybe if they eat a fish that has eggs and then move to another water and releave themselfs of the last meal and the eggs don't get digested and are planted into new water.

But i'l go with the eggs on feet/feathers first.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

The appearance of fish species in previously barren water was held to be evidence of the theory of 'spontaneous generation' in past ages.

Pickerel weed was reckoned to turn into pike, and eels would emerge from the slimy algae.

There are natural mechanisms for transporting fish from one isolated body of water to another.

I remember hearing of some scientists wanting to study isolated populations, to whom it occurred that ponds and lakes are 'negative islands', being perplexed to find evidence of 'recent' gene-swapping between isolated populations.

Quite a few ways that it can be done, floods, waterspouts and convective cloud currents, sticky eggs on bird legs, alive prey dropped by birds carrying fish to feed youngsters etc etc.

It doesn't take many such 'accidents' over hundreds of years to ensure that species that are capable of successfully colonising a water do so over time, and that every water in a particular region will have a representative sample of regional species that can be supported by that water (attenuated by chemical makeup, depth, shade etc of the particular water concerned), and as the environment slowly changes, so does the species of fish to be found.

What amazes me is how in the face of all the evidence that evolution has adapted fish to spread and colonise isolated bodies of water, by themselves, that the Environment Agency is able to convince themselves that it can only happen through the actions of live-baiting pike anglers!

Tight Lines - leon

[ 07. May 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust