New River Season a Month Away

Waveney One

i cant wait for the river to open,i still find the 16th june an exciting date because it means i can get down the river,the best place to fish in my opinion.

i know what your saying about the old closed season but for me the river beats any other place and i cant wait to get down there.

yep same here, opening day i always get out there to cast a line, close seasons okay though it means i get out and try some fly fishing on my local river which for once has been pretty productive, roll on the 16th.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that you missed the point Alan. I haven't a problem with commercial fisheries per se, just that it was largely pressure from them and stupidly enough, the tackle trade and anglers, that got the close season lifted on lakes and canals.

I wasn't referring to matches at all, most commercials probably see more pleasure anglers than matchmen who restrict their visits to maybe 2 or 3 days a week whereas they are open 7 days a week. What I was meaning is that because of the demise of the close season, all the jobs I normally get done are now no longer done at all!

Worse, I have lost the anticipation leading up to June 16th that I used to have. I couldn't sleep for a few nights leading up to the great day.

You could say that 'Why not impose your own close season?' a good question and to be honest at first I tried to. I have only visited commercials for a few years, preferring to stick to rivers and traditional species. Trouble is I have no self control when it comes to fishing! I just can't get enough of it. That is why I took up fly fishing and trout fishing in the first place, just to get out fishing during the close season. I have travelled to the ROI and Holland to fish, to Lincolnshire when they abolished it but we hadn't down here in Suffolk. I am a junky when it comes to fishing. It was like like banging your head on a wall for 3 months, not enjoyable at all but knowing that eventually relief would come and you ould go fishing and no one could stop you. I even got my sister to change her wedding day from the 16th June to 23rd!!

Waveney, I'm really sorry. I read the post as a mourning of match angling being in thrall to the commercial fishery.

I really like the way you made the point subsequently and can see your point of view. For myself, the close season is a major inconvenience as life seriously restricts my fishing time, but I take a more pragmatic than romantic view, possibly because I was in my 40's before I got the bug. I have one cardinal rule. Where fish are spawning, I will not fish.

However, I do use the close season to fish lakes, sometimes commercials, in order to maximise my fishing time. I have recently started to fish a canal, because I love catching roach and skimmers. I have found it helps me fine down the tackle I use and has taught me to play the fish more carefully.

Due to the nature of the waters I can access in the main, I really look forward to the open season - although not to the point where I have to be out at midnight in order to try to be the first to catch.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I joined a lake to fish for Tench in the close just haven`t been able to get round to it as i have been fish spotting from the boat and pre baiting a few spots where we are going to moor the new one in anticipation of the 16th Steve.

Which lake was that Steve?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Since March I've been consumned by a mission to catch a thornback ray from the shore.

Mission accomplished with a fish of 9 1/4lbs, I still have to accompany my fishing companion as he seeks a double.

But as the trees green, and the daffodil leaves die away, deep inside I feel the stirring of the old passion for trotting down a river.

So, last week I was walking the Stour at Fordwich, creeping through the growing nettle beds and trying to spot the moving shapes below the wind tossed water.

As branches fell, and trees cracked omniously I was transfixed watching large shapes moving around between the patches of weed, my hand reaching for a rod that wasn't there.

The magic is still there :)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Which lake was that Steve?

Mike its a pair of lakes in Theale controlled by Cemex and will just have to get my a"£$ into gear and have a bash for them,Have you got your car sorted now?? Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Thanks for posting that Peter, I don't feel quite as lonely as I did. :)

It's interesting that the RSPCA are now taking more notice, maybe the tip of a very long wedge, supplied by anglers themselves.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Mike its a pair of lakes in Theale controlled by Cemex and will just have to get my a"£$ into gear and have a bash for them,Have you got your car sorted now?? Steve.

Yes - now a Peugeot 406 owner and have been out trouting a few times. The fly gear looks lost in the boot - its' huge.

Even managed a few trouty sessions to Shaw and Speen Moor. I'm off to Barton Court nest week - should be a blinder - right in the middle of duffers fortnight! :yeah:

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I can't wait for the 16th, I have my fishing head back on this year, finally cleared of all the c**p and pain of the last several years. As I will be targeting the Thames this year, something that has been on the 'to do list' for years but circumstances have not given me the time, I am going back to basics. Needed hemp for Wingham so got a 15kg sack, haven't had the smell of hemp cooking in the house for years! Cooked a big pan full so already have some cooked and in the freezer.

As I put on the other rivers thread, I will get back down the Bristol Avon and take the 'Chuck wagon' and spend a couple of days at a time down there.

I still enjoy the close season because I now have that building anticipation of waiting for the 16th June to arrive and deciding which river I will cast my first bait into. The rods will be cleaned and the reels reloaded over the next couple of weeks. I was going to reload my reels at Wingham but forgot to take my line!!

Wingham to me is more of a social event although I still would love to catch one of those big perch but as I said to Liam on the way down, I still wonder if I had a PB in the close season would I count it? I won't know until it happens I suppose.

Roll on the 16th

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Really looking forward to it as I'm bored/tired of having to drive all over the place to stillwaters to fish when I know that I'm within 15mins walk of rivers (hopefully) containing big barbel lol

Stillwater fishing hasn't been too bad though this year I suppose as I managed to bag my first catfish and fishing Chew is always an event.

This year it's off with the blinkers for me and time to target other species which I know inhabit the river in far greater numbers/size than pike which have pretty much all gone now.