Tate Modern 'White Boxes'

Tog

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/a...rts/4326462.stm

Upon seeing this wonderful artwork on the TV last night my lad tipped over his Lego box and proclaimed he was entering it for the Turner Prize.

Are all modern artists so up their own arses they cannot see what crap they do or are they really proper geniusisis's wot mere mortals cannot hope to understand?

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tog:

Are all modern artists so up their own arses they cannot see what crap they do or are they really proper geniusisis's wot mere mortals cannot hope to understand?

They get paid thousands of pounds for 'tipping up lego' or framing tea bags so I'll let you decide....

(for myself I think it's the numpties that buy the stuff ).

Rob.

I cought this on the TV last night and thought that it looked quite interesting. However quite interesting should not be enough to win a prize bearing the name of a great artist like Turner.

[ 11. October 2005, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: A Worm On One End........ ]

I've just placed a cardboard box into another cardboard box to symbolise

"The compartmentalism of our lives in the post Thatcher imperialist era",

(or did I just I just put a box inside another?)

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Carefull. The modern art apreciation mafia will start having a go shortly.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Tog:

I have a friend who is well into all this modern art stuff and I asked him the same question, but in a more polite manner. He said that it was only art if people talked about it.

Since we are all talking about it and criticising it, that would make it art.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

A Worm On One End........:

I think  it is Art.  Just not great Art.

What is 'great art then' Personally I am not into 'installation art'.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Great Art who knows

I dont know. The only definition I can think of that has any meaning is art that stands the test of time. Even that is flawed, any evaluation of art is always going to be subjective and personal.

The one thing that can be agreed on by most is that Turner for example was a great artist. That said even he in his day he was vilified by many.

With regartd the art in question Idont think that it will be remembered in 100 years time.

I have an idea for a piece. Entitled simply "Self-Referential", it will depict a circular arrangement of monkeys, each one licking the arse of the one in front. I can't decide whether to cast it in monopoly money papier mache or sculpt it from frozen bull dung. Do you think Saatchi would buy it?