Shooting bears

Worms

Steve, I think that that is what people on this thread are doing!

I started this thread because I was annoyed that it had been closed and that posters had been accused of making "idiotic comments".

It obviously affects the sensibilities of some of our Transatlantic cousins that a significant number of people in this country object to killing bears for fun, boasting about it and posting film of it on a forum in another country.

To answer some of your questions, apparently 52 people have been killed by Black Bears in the US and Canada in the past 109 years. 20,000 Black Bears are killed annually in the same areas. As I said in a previous post their staple diet is Salmon and Blueberries. Also included is: other inverts (particularly bees and ants), plant foods and carrion with occasional deer fawns etc.

As far as catch and release laws in the UK I thought the only restrictions on keeping fish were those set by fishery owners and of course the river close season and the Salmon legislation limiting taking of fish to certain months.

Chesters1 made a comment on extinct UK wildlife (from Man's hand).

Let's hope that the salmon runs don't decline (no herring will upset the whole ecology of the local area) and the bears (as apex predators) don't start dying out locally through lack of food. That will seriously upset the population dynamics of the whole area.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ref. some guy's wife shooting a black bear.

Comments that were made were only idiotic Newt if you support shooting apex predators for fun so you can keep the skin as a trophy.

I'll make only this one reply here and without even reading any posts after this initial one.

Think what you want about an activity that is perfectly legal in that area. Opinions certainly differ.

However, posting that you would like to see a man's wife get her face ripped off is out of line and posting that a single shot should be able to drop a bear immediately is ignorant unless the weapon is a cannon or some other non-sporting, non-legal firearm shows a lack of knowledge about bears.

Possibly I'd have done better to say "inappropriate" & "ignorant" rather than idiotic.

Feel free to rave on about barbarian practices and I'll leave this topic in peace unless someone reports it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'll make only this one reply here and without even reading any posts after this initial one.

Think what you want about an activity that is perfectly legal in that area. Opinions certainly differ.

However, posting that you would like to see a man's wife get her face ripped off is out of line and posting that a single shot should be able to drop a bear immediately is ignorant unless the weapon is a cannon or some other non-sporting, non-legal firearm shows a lack of knowledge about bears.

Possibly I'd have done better to say "inappropriate" & "ignorant" rather than idiotic.

Feel free to rave on about barbarian practices and I'll leave this topic in peace unless someone reports it.

aha twas me ,i said what some thought ,if you post a post in a country where we dont kill animals for fun (at least most dont outside of vermin shooting) you will get flack ,i stand by my words idiotic or not its what i feel and just as valid as the feeling in the womans head killing an animal 50 yards away is "fun" :P

my other point of putting her in the same place as her bear trophy in afghanistan so she can see how much fun being in the sights of a different "hunter" is also valid ,that case though the "game" can shoot back ,more fun? i bet not

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

am i the only one that finds it strange to see his sexual organs "fuzzed out" in case it offends?

While hes shredded like that? strange. :blink:

OK, if you insist.

charonboat_dot_com_bear_attack1.jpg

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Nobody is denying the legality.........now who was it that said "in the US, morals is a four letter word spelt C-O-L-T"?

However, posting that you would like to see a man's wife get her face ripped off is out of line

You obviously missed the smiley and the fact that the comment was generally flippant........but given the boasting and glee at the killing, not a wholly disagreeable sentiment. Then again I don't need to defend Chesters1.......

and posting that a single shot should be able to drop a bear immediately is ignorant unless the weapon is a cannon or some other non-sporting, non-legal firearm shows a lack of knowledge about bears.

So you are not allowed to use a gun powerful enough to kill a bear outright but you still have laws allowing you to kill them?

Any comments regarding the firepower of the weapons used are obviously pointless if you and other New World hunters go potting at animals with weapons that aren't man enough for the job.

In the UK sporting codes and ethics require you to use the appropriate charge/shot size for the quarry and to shoot only when you are confident of making a kill.

We don't condone the 'barbarian' practice of using underpowered guns for our sport.

Ignorant? That's rich! "I'll make only this one reply here and without even reading any posts after this initial one."

Seems like you're doing okay as a nation without our help :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

do they allow trophy hunting in cheltenham..........................just a thought :rolleyes:

And you'd want that fizzog staring down at you from the wall over your devilled kidneys and kedgeree? :D

So you are not allowed to use a gun powerful enough to kill a bear outright but you still have laws allowing you to kill them?

Any comments regarding the firepower of the weapons used are obviously pointless if you and other New World hunters go potting at animals with weapons that aren't man enough for the job.

In the UK sporting codes and ethics require you to use the appropriate charge/shot size for the quarry and to shoot only when you are confident of making a kill.

We don't condone the 'barbarian' practice of using underpowered guns for our sport.

So where would you think is the recommended part of a deer's body to place a rifle bullet to ensure a kill? And how long would the animal take to die?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net