Recommendations for new scales

tiddlertamer

i used to have a set of Weighmasters and they were very nice . compact and lightweight only problem was I lost them on the bank !st day i took them out ( they fell out of the pocket on tyhe back of my waistcoat :rolleyes: ) so i cant comment on how well they weigh things .

I also own a set of fox digitals and think they are brilliant and have just purchased some of the Berkeley digi's and they are ideal for travelling light. i regularly check all my scales (2 dials and 2 digi's) against each other and they are all spot on with each other.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a set of Rapala digi scales, the more expensive ones, and other then the zeroing abilities of them i think they are great. Ive checked them against my weighmasters and my ruben heatons and they are all exactly the same, so for me its digi's.

The angle that you hold the scales at will affect the accuracy of all scales, not just digital ones, try it for yourselves.

The weighmasters are good as far as mechanical ones, better then the avons in my opinion with the whole 'what colour is the thing on' lol

Anderoo, which Rapalas did you have out of interest?

Guest tigger
i used to have a set of Weighmasters and they were very nice . compact and lightweight only problem was I lost them on the bank !st day i took them out ( they fell out of the pocket on tyhe back of my waistcoat :rolleyes: ) so i cant comment on how well they weigh things .

I also own a set of fox digitals and think they are brilliant and have just purchased some of the Berkeley digi's and they are ideal for travelling light. i regularly check all my scales (2 dials and 2 digi's) against each other and they are all spot on with each other.

BK have you got the model of your Berkleys digi's ?

Anyone tried the chub digital scales?

They look tempting.

(Just ask me for pictures if I try claiming a record dace next season.) :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Guest tigger
Anyone tried the chub digital scales?

They look tempting.

(Just ask me for pictures if I try claiming a record dace next season.) :)

It's the handle that would put me off the chub ones. The berkleys is a smart solid handle built in where as the chub one looks to be seperate(something else to carry) so will swing about when attached.

Guest tigger
the orange and grey ones with the angled handle (not sure of the model number) I think they weigh up to 36 lb's

They sound like my m8's set, I was impressed with em.

For me it will be the Avons which are simple in design and ultra reliable with little to go wrong. They have also been tried and tested over a long period of time by countless anglers and most important hang unrestricted in the vertical position.

The Waymasters get my vote, accurate, easy to zero with a weigh sling etc. and above all are small and compact so they fit in my tackle bag when coarse fishing or pocket when trouting (not so sure I'm likely to come across a 40lb brownie mind!) without having to leave that spare reel/spool/bottle of beer behind B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I have two sets with me at all times, a set of Sampson spring balances which I use as back ups and to double check and confirm the other set with. I tend to double check two or three times a season but use the Berkley digitals for every other occasion and have absolute trust in them, never let me down and as stated when the battery goes flat lets you know.

The battery in the scales is over three years old now and the scales themselves are used and abused every season and never put away clean or dry and yet I've never had any of the problems people tell me that the digitals bring

For about £25 I think they're a cracking buy and being small and compact means you can pack them in your back without comprimising on something else