A View from the Water's Edge

Chris Plumb

First Double

30/9/03

1845 - 0015

It's always nice to catch on your first trip to a new venue - but to catch a 10lb barbel on my first cast in one may sound incredulous - but that's exactly what happened on this evening.

In anticipation of my August house move I joined a different club this year and have had plenty of 'new' water to explore. Tonight was my 5th debut at a new water this season. However I wasn't fishing it totally blind - having reconnoitred 3 times and picked out 4 likely looking swims. 2 of these were quite close together and they would be my first choices.

I arrived with little over half an hour of daylight left - and realised that the short 5 minute drive made this now the nearest venue to my new house! First choice was a 'tree swim'. A willow with a raft of debris caught in the branches - and an easy under-arm cast to reach it. Barbel like a roof over their head so I picked this out as a classic looking swim - probably 'designed' by Mr Crabtree! I cast, settled the rod and waited. It was a couple of hours before there were any signs of life - but the lack of crayfish activity was encouraging. Then, a couple of liners, a few slight knocks, there were definitely fish about, and my hand hovvered expectantly over the rod. It didn't hover long! The rod smashed round and I snatched it up and hung on. I instantly knew it was a decent size. Stubborn and ponderous it didn't charge around like a 7lber it just would'nt budge. After nearly 5 minutes of sulking I eventually coaxed it to the surface and was initially disappointed with it's size - a stocky fish which showed it's true worth when I lifted it from the water.

'Touch and go' for a double I thought and the scales confirmed my suspicions - quiverring just the 'right' side of 10lb. What a first fish!!! And my 1st double of the season - to boot! Alas, I realised I'd left my camera at home - next to my PC where it had down-loaded Spindle's baby barbel from the weekend!

The rest of the session was a bit of an anti-climax - but only in comparison to this wonderful start. I shifted to my 2nd swim and caught 2 further fish of near identical weight which in total matched that of my first!

There's not a shred of doubt that this is a venue which will be a regular one on my angling itinerary in the coming years!!!!

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to read such stories in a batch so that there's some continuity. It was well worth waiting! Reminds of Frank Guttfield's "In Search of Bif Fish" from 40 years ago which I've just re-read. I particularly liked Chris's phrase "haunted by the centuries" - very evocative.

Thanks, Chris. I'm looking forward to the 2nd "chapter", i.e. when the thread gets to page 3.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Grayling Galore (plus a carp or three)

11/10/03 River Test - Timsbury

0830 - 1830

1st October marks, for me, the 2nd 'half' of my season. It's a date the gets the heart 'a-flutter' almost as much as the 16th June. From October my attention focusses soley on river fishing and, for the last few years, Grayling, in particular.

The Test is strictly a fly river. Bait anglers are the lowest of the low. However come 1/10/03 there are a few fisheries that, be-grudgingly, (or enlighteningly, depending on your view point!)allow some coarse fishing. Timsbury Fishing is one such water. The coarse fishing here is excellent - grayling by the score are supplemented by good roach, chub, dace and pike - always assuming you can get past the trout of course! There's even the odd river carp to be caught!

Today was a bit of a social. I'd booked three rods - for myself, Paul and Mervyn. Spindle and Davidp (of this parish) joined me - have fished the venue back in January at an ANMC fish-in I'd organised. Ironically Grayling weren't 'The Talk' as Paul drove down to the fishery in a glorious autumn morning. Roach and big ones, occupied our minds and Paul scurried off to a swim on the main river with big Redfins his quest, as soon as he'd parked up - leaving me his keys.

I wanted a bend in my rod however, and started on a swim at the top limit of one of the carriers. The water was gin clear, low, but not as much as expected. I threw in a handful of maggots and the water boiled with fish!! :D This is going to be easy!!! However, the first 10 trot throughs brought 10 bites but only one fish landed. Grayling - even small ones are masters at twisting off the hook - especially barbless ones. I switched to 16's - little better - and then to 14's. At last the odds were swinging in my favour and by 1030 when I vacated the swim and dropped down to the plunge pool below I'd accounted for no fewer than 41 grayling and 7 trout. The next hour and a half brought a further 11 ladies including my best of the day - a fish of 1lb 6oz. The vast majority however were in the 8 - 10 inch class.

I have to admit to feeling a little smug when we all met up for lunch. Paul had struggled - had managed a rainbow's but not helped by doing is back in. Merv had caught - but not in the quite spectacular numbers I'd managed. Spindle and his frind Del had also managed to winkle out a fish or two. David had stationed himself on the 'slow' carrier and had some 'jaw dropping' roach swimming up and down in front of him (He went on to catch a 1½lb beauty in the afternoon)

Beef stew, French Bread and Red Wine never tasted so good especially on such a fine autumn day.

Having witnessed such colossal roach in the morning I set my mine on catch one in the afternoon and spent the rest of my day on the slow carrier doing just that. I'd brought no bread - so the remains of my lunch were pressed into action. It wasn't too long before I had my first bite - not a redfin though - something much more challenging on light tackle - a carp. It tore off with me in hot pursuit and thankful for the fly fisher's insistence on well manicured banks. Netted 40m upstream it weighed 6lb 6oz. Next bite was also a carp. This one shot downstream, was a tenacious common exactly 2lb heavier than the first.

The carp seem to get the message and left my swim alone for a while. The roach appeared and I started to catch a few. Not big, a few ounces and then one much more substantial. This one troubled the scales at 1lb 3oz - I was well pleased and wished for it's Ma or Pa to show an appearance.

But it wasn't to be. I did get a personal best though - in fact two in two casts! Eels! I don't see many of these on the Kennet and have caught only a dozen bootlaces in my entire life. I was therefore singularly impressed at the scarp these two specimens put up. The 1st weighed just 14oz the 2nd only ½lb more but they both gave a splendid account of themselves on light tackle. I started to understand why a select bunch of anglers sought out large specimens - they must present quite some contest.

We had to be off the fishery by 1830 - and we'd agreed to rendezvous at that time to go off to the pub. At 1815 I saw redfins in my swim and anticpated a huge roach to round off my day - sure enough with seconds to go I landed a 3lb 2oz fish. Alas not a roach - but a third and final carp!!

Posted Image

Carp and Witcher.

Chris

Chris Plumb:

0830 - 1830

1st October marks, for me, the 2nd 'half' of my season. It's a date the gets the heart 'a-flutter' almost as much as the 16th June. From October my attention focusses soley on river fishing and, for the last few years, Grayling, in particular.

The Test is strictly a fly river. Bait anglers are the lowest of the low. However come 1/10/03 there are a few fisheries that, be-grudgingly, (or enlighteningly, depending on your view point!)allow some coarse fishing. Timsbury Fishing is one such water. The coarse fishing here is excellent - grayling by the score are supplemented by good roach, chub, dace and pike - always assuming you can get past the trout of course! There's even the odd river carp to  be caught!

Today was a bit of a social. I'd booked three rods  - for myself, Paul and Mervyn. Spindle and Davidp (of this parish) joined me - have fished the venue back in January at an ANMC fish-in I'd organised. Ironically Grayling weren't 'The Talk' as Paul drove down to the fishery in a glorious autumn morning. Roach and big ones, occupied our minds and Paul scurried off to a swim on the main river with big Redfins his quest, as soon as he'd parked up - leaving me his keys.

I wanted a bend in my rod however, and started on a swim at the top limit of one of the carriers. The water was gin clear, low, but not as much as expected. I threw in a handful of maggots and the water boiled with fish!!   :D   This is going to be easy!!! However, the first 10 trot throughs brought 10 bites but only one fish landed. Grayling - even small ones are masters at twisting off the hook - especially barbless ones. I switched to 16's - little better - and then to 14's. At last the odds were swinging in my favour and by 1030 when I vacated the swim and dropped down to the plunge pool below I'd accounted for no fewer than 41 grayling and 7 trout. The next hour and a half brought a further 11 ladies including my best of the day - a fish of 1lb 6oz. The vast majority however were in the 8 - 10 inch class.

I have to admit to feeling a little smug when we all met up for lunch. Paul had struggled - had managed a couple of rainbow's but not helped by doing is back in. Merv had caught - but not in the quite spectacular numbers I'd managed. Spindle and his frind Del had also managed to winkle out a fish or two. David had stationed himself on the 'slow' carrier and had some 'jaw dropping' roach swimming up and down in front of him (He went on to catch a 1½lb beauty in the afternoon)

Beef stew, French Bread and Red Wine never tasted so good especially on such a fine autumn day.

Having witnessed such colossal roach in the morning I set my mine on catch one in the afternoon and spent the rest of my day on the slow carrier doing just that. I'd brought no bread - so the remains of my lunch were pressed into action. It wasn't too long before I had my first bite - not a redfin though - something much more challenging on light tackle - a carp. It tore off with me in hot pursuit and thankful for the fly fisher's insistence on well manicured banks. Netted 40m upstream it weighed 6lb 6oz. Next bite was also a carp. This one shot downstream, was a tenacious common exactly 2lb heavier than the first.

The carp seem to get the message and left my swim alone for a while. The roach appeared and I started to catch a few. Not big, a few ounces and then one much more substantial. This one troubled the scales at 1lb 3oz - I was well pleased and wished for it's Ma or Pa to show an appearance.

But it wasn't to be. I did get a personal best though - in fact two in two casts! Eels! I don't see many of these on the Kennet and have caught only a dozen bootlaces in my entire life. I was therefore singularly impressed at the scarp these two specimens put up. The 1st weighed just 14oz the 2nd only ½lb more but they both gave a splendid account of themselves on light tackle. I started to understand why a select bunch of anglers sought out large specimens - they must present quite some contest.

We had to be off the fishery by 1830 - and we'd agreed to rendezvous at that time to go off to the pub. At 1815 I saw redfins in my swim and anticpated a huge roach to round off my day - sure enough with seconds to go I landed a 3lb 2oz fish. Alas not a roach - but a third and final carp!!

Posted Image

Carp and Witcher.

Chris

"Spindles record gudgeon"!

Corrr...what a battle that would be...A Gudgeon that size!!!

Keep it up Chris, grand job...

[ 12. October 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Steve Randles ]

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Chris Plumb:

0830 - 1830

The Test is strictly a fly river. Bait anglers are the lowest of the low. However come 1/10/03 there are a few fisheries that, be-grudgingly, (or enlighteningly, depending on your view point!)allow some coarse fishing. Timsbury Fishing is one such water. The coarse fishing here is excellent - grayling by the score are supplemented by good roach, chub, dace and pike - always assuming you can get past the trout of course! There's even the odd river carp to  be caught!

Today was a bit of a social. I'd booked three rods  - for myself, Paul and Mervyn. Spindle and Davidp (of this parish) joined me - have fished the venue back in January at an ANMC fish-in I'd organised. Ironically Grayling weren't 'The Talk' as Paul drove down to the fishery in a glorious autumn morning. Roach and big ones, occupied our minds and Paul scurried off to a swim on the main river with big Redfins his quest, as soon as he'd parked up - leaving me his keys.

I wanted a bend in my rod however, and started on a swim at the top limit of one of the carriers. The water was gin clear, low, but not as much as expected. I threw in a handful of maggots and the water boiled with fish!!   :D   This is going to be easy!!! However, the first 10 trot throughs brought 10 bites but only one fish landed. Grayling - even small ones are masters at twisting off the hook - especially barbless ones. I switched to 16's - little better - and then to 14's. At last the odds were swinging in my favour and by 1030 when I vacated the swim and dropped down to the plunge pool below I'd accounted for no fewer than 41 grayling and 7 trout. The next hour and a half brought a further 11 ladies including my best of the day - a fish of 1lb 6oz. The vast majority however were in the 8 - 10 inch class.

I have to admit to feeling a little smug when we all met up for lunch. Paul had struggled - had managed a rainbow's but not helped by doing is back in. Merv had caught - but not in the quite spectacular numbers I'd managed. Spindle and his frind Del had also managed to winkle out a fish or two. David had stationed himself on the 'slow' carrier and had some 'jaw dropping' roach swimming up and down in front of him (He went on to catch a 1½lb beauty in the afternoon)

Having witnessed such colossal roach in the morning I set my mind on catching one in the afternoon and spent the rest of my day on the slow carrier doing just that. I'd brought no bread - so the remains of my lunch were pressed into action. It wasn't too long before I had my first bite - not a redfin though - something much more challenging on light tackle - a carp. It tore off with me in hot pursuit and thankful for the fly fisher's insistence on well manicured banks. Netted 40m upstream it weighed 6lb 6oz. Next bite was also a carp. This one shot downstream, was a tenacious common exactly 2lb heavier than the first.

Posted Image

Carp and Witcher.

Chris

Cover and Current

18/10/03 0715 - 1045

A short 'breakfast' trip to the Kennet which started with me scrapping ice off the car before the short drive up the fog shrouded valley to my chosen beat.

The drought is really starting to bite and I reckon the river is down to 1976 levels. Finding fish though isn't particularly difficult - if you know where to look. Sure, they're not in their usual haunts - but are likely to be holed up where there's cover or where there's a well oxygenated current. I had in mind a swim that provided both. A willow tree that protected a piece of water, which in normal flow, is too turbulent to put a float through.

I tackled up in the gloom and trickled maggots into the swim while I waited for it to get light enough to see my float. Action was instant and quite dramatic. The first two run throughs producing my two biggest fish of the morning. The first a fine, fat chub, a shade under 5lb. The second a lean, mean, barbel a shade over. Both fish test my tackle to the limit.

The water temperature showed 47ºF, a drop of some 5-6ºF on the week and I didn't expect the barbel to be that interested. However the next couple of hours produced 5 more - the best some 2lb lighter than the first. I also had a two more chub and a fine brownie - all around the 2lb mark.

By 1000 the dank mist had given way to milky sunshine and with the improved light levels bites dried up. So it was home for some lunch before going off to watch The Royals win 3-2 at The Mad Stad!

All in all a splendid day!

Chris