17-14 bream at Wingham!

Steve Burke

Getting the right stock fish is so vital. I even delayed a year in stocking the Carp Lake (which cost me a year's income) to ensure I got the best fish.

My first port of call was Ken, whom I've always had every confidence in as a fish breeder, and the carp were hand-picked. To get a slightly mixed gene pool, Ken recommended another source, even though it cost him money, and for most of the species these were the only two suppliers I used.

The sole exception was some of the tench. These came from a private water that's been almost totally unfished for years, and has had no fish introduced into it in living memory. Even so I was careful to get a health check on these fish as well.

Although I've always hoped for a record, I don't believe that you can just set up a fishery and expect to achieve this aim. I haven't got there yet, and may never do so.

All you can do is manage the water to produce as high an average size as possible, and hope that one or more of the fish are exceptional, almost freak fish, as this is what record breakers almost invariably are.

For instance on my Carp Lake last summer the fish averaged 23lbs at just 12 years of age maximum, but included at least 4 different thirties to 34-06. Even these aren't the biggest the water has produced. 23lbs by the way was the average of all carp caught, including young "pasties". Some fisheries ignore these small fish when quoting averages. What I'm hoping for is an average weight of as close to 30lbs as possible for the fully-grown fish.

Those carp that hadn't grown at the required rate early on have been removed. With a bit of luck some of the remainder will be freakish fish and top out at very considerably more than the average. I'm well on the way, but a lot can go wrong yet, so I'll leave it to others to speculate just how big they'll be when fully-grown.

Ken correctly forecast that the Coarse Lake would be particularly suited to bream. I'd expect that the maximum weight will be reached by the first generation of fish that breed in the water, as they're the ones best suited to the venue.

Quite what average weight they'll reach is open to debate as we're very much in uncharted waters here. Hopefully, I'll have a few freakish fish amongst them....!

[ 20. April 2004, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUDGIE:

Oh meant to add,A lot of people around this area have knocked Steves ideas on fishery managment over the years he has been creating his fishery but fair play to him he has stuck to his plan and it has obviously payed off.I bet you are well chuffed Steve and quite rightly so.

I have indeed had more than my fair share of knockers, but I've got a thick skin! It even included some of my members for a while, a few of whom left the syndicate as they wanted something different to what I'm aiming for. Luckilly, they were quickly replaced by those on the waiting list.

In fact, one of the problems of running a syndicate is that you have twice as many fishery managers as members - every member plus his mate!

Yes, my ideas are different, but I must stress it doesn't make them better. Just better for Wingham and what I'm trying to achieve.

There are a lot of good venues in the area and I've a lot of respect for their management. Many of these have acheived a great deal of success in a different way, and I couldn't possibly have done so well at managing these sorts of fisheries as they have.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Many, many congratulations Steve.... and not forgetting Jon either, terrific news!!

I'm in the VERY fortunate position of being a member at Wingham and also happen to live right on the doorstep! The one big drawback I have is that my work schedule is very hectic at times and I cant get over to the lake as often as I'd like as I often have to travel at short notice.

What I would like to say is that in the short time I've been a member, it's been a real privilige to fish the water and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Steve for giving us an outstanding local (and in my opinion national) fishery.

I really hope I can get a few more days fishing in this year, and who knows maybe make Steve's dream of a record fish a reality. Even if I don't catch a record.... or even a fish, it's still a beautifull place to blank!

Whatever happens Steve, I'll make every effort to get the weekend of the Fish-In off (I know members can't fish that weekend) so I can help out where I can and get to meet a few of you board members.

Take my advice readers.....Get down here for the Fish-In, you wont regret it...rain or not!

Regards DaveL

Steve Burke:

I have indeed had more than my fair share of knockers  

Typical! Somebody always has to ruin it by bringing sex into the subject :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the picture as promised with thanks to Newt who did the computer wizadry to get it up on the forum.

Steve's gone over to see Elton this evening who's having a weekend at Wingham so watch this space to see what monster he catches!! :D

Posted Image

[ 30. April 2004, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Peggy Burke ]

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

Steve, the fish (with photo) appears on page 3 of this weeks AT. Good write-up too :)

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

That is one hog of a fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Steve and the capturer of a truely wonderful bream. Great to see that all yours and everyone elses hard work in creating the fishery that you wanted Steve has paid off.

Heres hopping that you do indeed are able to claim a record in the neer future.

PETE.

Fishing in Kent and the south east. With a new look for 2003.

http://www.angelfire.com/pw/thetangler