Spinning for Eels

me

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NathaN:

Someone once told me that you can go spinning for Eels is this true??? :confused:

Yes Nathan, you can catch eels on a spinner, in fact you can catch eels on any and every kind of angling method. Eels take any bait, at all depths, and on almost any rig.

The trouble is that spinning for them is not normally done in the UK. If it were, it might be successful. A lot of very big eels have been caught on small livebaits by pike anglers during the winter months.

However, most eel anglers either just use lob worms or small dead baits or fish sections. These account for most big eels caught on purpose. John Sidley caught almost all his big eels on these baits.

It depends on whether you just want to spin in hope or catch eels by traditional methods.

I just wish you well provided they go back alive. :D

Tight lines,

Brian

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

When I was quite young I was amazed to see quite a small eel grab a trolled bleak that I was piking with. The biggest eel I have ever seen in my life grabbed a trolled 6oz rudd in a large gravel pit. It thrashed its head on the surface like a mad dog for a few seconds until it let go. One winter in the frost, I was plagued by constant pulls and twitches from eels on a legered half mackerel. I have never had one attack a spinner though.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

quote:

Keep asking your questions Nathan.

The only daft question is the one that isn't asked.

The other posters can choose whether or not to answer.

True... :D:P

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

Every internet fishing site I have ever been on has its "Nathan" a young lad who is really into his fishing and computing.I am sure lads like this get as much fun from posting different questions as they do in recieving answers that actually improve their fishing.And after all that surely is what these sites are all about.....FUN.

It will be a sad day when they become just a soap box for people who have their own personel advancement at heart or old farts like me to moan on!

I for one am always pleased to be able to help a new comer young or old,its usually only newcomers my knowledge is of any use to!As I have mentioned on another thread all I ask is that any advice is taken in the spirit it is offered in.Oh and if you dont like it just remember you asked for it!

The advice given about concentrating on a more narrower band of angling is true but it dont hurt for the lad to dream! I certainly did at that age.After all the years Ive been fishing I have amassed a wealth of knowledge,shedfulls of tackle,loads of contacts and all I need now to be the worlds greatest all round angler is the enthusiasm and drive I had as a teenager! alas sadly lost for ever!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

quote:

Every internet fishing site I have ever been on has its "Nathan" a young lad who is really into his fishing and computing
Strange???? :confused:

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

Strange but very true Nathan, don't worry it's a compliment.

:)

One of John wilsons programs had him spinning when he landed a big eel, it made several attacks on the spinner following a number of casts, before it was finally hooked.

Best of Luck Nathan, I wish I'd had the internet when i was a teenager, keep using it and keep asking questions, but also take the time to go out there and have a go. But as has been mentioned, please put the eels back alive. :)

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Hi Nathan,

I have asked the very same question on a number of occasions, Of eel anglers and anglers who fish with lures.

I have held the ambition of catching a eel with an artificial bait for a few years,

I also would wish to actually stimulate a eel to take a bait by this method,

I have thought for long hours about the use of spinners and plugs for eels, The best way I could see forward with it would be to fish a "anchored lure" one which floats,

attach it on the end of your wire trace through a ledger with a large run ring, this I think would cut down on the resistance and allow you to sit and twitch the lure, up and down in the water,

I`m not sure that a roving lure rod would be productive, I also think you may just scare any eel away by the constant splashes of a lure,

The casting of a lure in the dark could be a problem in its self.

If you ever got a eel to take your bait, You would then have the problems of hooking and then un hooking the lure, I would be Very surprised if a eel took a lure such as a big s down its throat.

The problem I thing would be hooking it in the first place.

I do intend to try to fulfil this dream.

So Un-less I am totally mad, I don`t for one feel your question strange.

Tony Jolley,

General Secretary.

National Anguilla Club.

Tony B.T Jolley