Reclaiming British Identity?

SandTiger

Its a long thread so please forgive me if I have missed a piont that has already been made.But I dont believe that being British,can be instilled into poeple in a class room,for one, people can say what they belive poeple want to hear.allso what happens when someone disagrees with one of the points that are being taught,this is after all a democracey.will they be invited to leave the country,Secondly being forward looking westen Europians I bet we are all looking forward to being part of a Federal Europe, may be this as a concept can be installed into our young poeple as well as thier Britishnes.I think for what it is worth,the main thing that needs to be adressed is 1.please don't abuse our hospitality and 2. observe our laws.Your religion is your own buisness as long as by following it you are not breaking rules 1&2 other than that go knock your selves out.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skippy has echoed my sentiments exactly. Sportsmen, I suspect it is newly arrived immigrants. Subsequent generations are not immigrants, are they?

Sandtiger, no, not based on just one newspaper report but several, and that is why I asked. I don't know the answer, but would like to know because my perception suggests that it is a problem that is not being highlighted for obvious, political reasons.

i think the loss is due to the great stiff upper lip shortage of 1948 since then top lips have been by government decree substituted with a distinct tremble and saddly stubborness with it :(

we now just bow to any upstart in government here and abroad and their whims.

old John Bull has now become Cow tow ,the bulldogs become the poodle :(

made me laugh today about the protestors outside the AWE the government want us to have a modern and independant atomic weapons program ,it only works if we lick american asses ,its their sattelites that guide them :rolleyes:

[ 08. August 2005, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Peter, the reason I asked is the loose use of the word immigrant to describe anyone of a different race or ethnic origen, which has been evident on many threads.

Skippy, it's interesting that you say the point was lost a long time ago. The point was about Britishness, the very first response (yours) hi-jacked it into immigrants being sexual deviants, closely followed by Peter Wallers comments which supported your suggestion, and for Peter to agree with you now does rather make one think of pots and kettles.

If the point was lost, then I am afraid you lost it between you.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Why pots and kettles Sportsman? Surely you are not infering that Skippy and I have a hidden, or shared agenda? I can only speak for myself in saying that I speak as I find it. Coincidently Skippy and I live within ten miles of each other, perhaps we see the same changes and read the same newspapers, but we have yet to discuss matters other than via AN.

My gut feeling, for what its worth, is that many immigrants come to England expecting pavements lined with gold. Some, perhaps, coming from perhaps a more repressed social structure with regard to girls, also expect a more relaxed attitude to women than is customery in their countries of origin. As you said earlier, a misinterpretation of the signals?

The issue started off with regard to a British identity. We are, and have always been a multi-national country. What is causing problems, and I'm sure that you will tell me if I'm wrong, is that the present communities are held apart by differing patterns of behaviour. All that Skippy & I have done is to highlight, as we independenly see things, one of the possible problems.

[ 09. August 2005, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Guest Jaybee

I haven't read the entire thread - old ground, old arguements, old solutions.

My own views.

Have no problem with people who don't "look" English.

Have no problem with Corner shop mentality.

Have no problem with multi cultural Britain.

Have no objections to my siek friend making me a cuppa each day when I am out taking photos.

Do object to bloody indian films and asian Tv/radio channels.

I have no objection to anyone celebrating their own culture, as long as it is not carried out in an exclusive way. I don't mind people practicing their own religion if they do it quietly amongst themselves, although I would like to ban people from spouting out their nonsense in the street with megaphones, telling us we are all doomed to eternal damnation.

What I do object to most strongly is people choosing to come here who claim that their religion authorises them to ignore the law of our land. This is totally unacceptable and would be in any other country but ours. I only hope that the tightening up of the law will help to emphasise this more clearly.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Just one other point. how about the contributions made to this country by imergrants,the Doctors and Nurses that have been the stalwart of our Health servive for the last 30 years. Mr Patel that no dout half of us will buy a news paper from this morning and 12 hours later a bottle of wine on the way home from work.No one can say that there isnt a minority of people who come to this contry with a dubious agenda but its not them all and we should be aware of that when we start pointing fingers thats the thin end of the wedge and what people with radical views want to promote.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Not that this has anything to do with anything... But, i hate the fact that we are not aloud to say that we are Scottish?(Same with the rest of our 4 nations) but can only be British!

I realy dont think i could swear alegance to Britain, publicly or not! And i cant see how this would stop any forms of terrorist activity.

'Of with his head!'

Something i dont like seeing.... A couple standing at the bus stop a few weeks back with thier two children. The man, and young boy, wwhere dressed in the finest suits you could imagine, very swift indeed. The mother i prosume, in full head gear totally covered head to toe as was the young girl. I know its thier culture but is this not degrading females!!!???

Why does this sort of thing need to be entertained in the UK??

Tight Lines

Shaun