Reclaiming British Identity?

SandTiger

surely you only swear allegience to the queen ,does the oath contain the words AND prince phillip ,Charles ,Anne etc etc etc down to milly the second cousin of so and so twice removed :confused:

if not ,spending 65p a year for a monarch is good enough reason to get cheap grog and payed for in the saving from the first pint :rolleyes:

[ 09. August 2005, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chesters1:

surely you only swear allegience to the queen ,does the oath contain the words AND prince phillip ,Charles ,Anne etc etc etc down to milly the second cousin of so and so twice removed :confused:

This is what you have to swear/sign.

Oath of allegiance

I (name) swear by Almighty God that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

What I was asked to sign missed out the British citizen bit as it assumed I already was one!

Edited bit.

I just realised Chesters that you are implying that one should swear to anything just to get cheap drinks.

Whilst it may be accepted that standards in British life have declined.

This Britons word is still his bond

[ 09. August 2005, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Scapanapper ]

blimey must be a war hero/pretend war hero incharge,when i joined i just got someone to countersign (an existing member)the app form didnt rejoin though as there were 2 types of members the boozer that joined for cheap beer and the codger who joined to reminiss over past exploits ,whilst the second did have interesing things to say hearing it week after week bored me and i joined the first group and used drink to forget what the codgers said and enjoyed being warned for bad behaviour (if hitting the wall playing darts is that bad) by the chief bullshiner,not being a mixing type (of any cliche) i found brewing your own drinking and it to excess was far cheaper and more ear freindly to myself and without the getting lost bit staggering home

:D

[ 09. August 2005, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think the heirs and succesors bit just referes to who happens to be Monarch at the time.

I don't know how old you are but barring a plane crash on Balmoral it should be pretty eassy to work out who that is likely to be for the next 20-30 years :D

I just had a vision of Chesters charging up and down a sand dune, white kepi at a jaunty angle, then I realised it was the wrong legion :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Ken Davison South Wales:

They have even tried to ban Xmas street decorations, this is not acceptable to me.

The only area where we lack moral fibre is in failing to stand up for our own values and not inforcing the laws that we live by for fear of upsetting new comers.

As I understand it, the thing with the Xmas decorations was more to do with your second point than with any ethnic or religious minority objecting; well-meaning idiots getting upset on their behalf and without their consent.

It seems to be part of the culture of corporate cowardice within local government and service provision; everyone desperately covering their arses in case they might get sued or, worse, denounced as "institutionally *(ist / phobic / whatever)".

The sad thing is that if you talk to the individuals concerned, they'll admit privately that they think it's a load of b*llocks, but they're all too scared to mention that the Emperor's bits are on display.

By and large, all people want is to be left alone to live in their own way, within the law. When they step outside of those bounds they need to be jumped on from a great height, of course.

Sportsman:

I just had a vision of Chesters charging up and down a sand dune, white kepi at a jaunty angle, then I realised it was the wrong legion :)

Ah, you mean that Chesters probably served in the 9th Legion that was lost in about AD 117? :D

Skippy, are you saying that you are threatened by a gun every day, that your clients regularly have their throats cut and that 8 yr olds are abducted and murdered and the police are not interested? Really!!!

And all of this is the fault of immigrants :confused:

Well, given your job I suppose it is likely that you will be outside pubs/clubs at kicking out / off time, so it's not really surprising that you would witness your share of trouble, as you would in any large town or city in those areas at that time.

Ever thought of moving?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Just an observation about some of the adverts that are appearing at the bottom of this thread - for body armour etc. Must go - reinforcing the castle, ya know...

[ 09. August 2005, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Ken Davison South Wales:

I fail to see what being north of the so called boarder has to do with anything, Scots, Welsh and English die side by side to save the country you are now living in.

I know that they did and I am proud of them and thankful for their sacrifice, but I'm sorry I still don't feel particularly 'British'.

In these forums one often meets those who have big issues over the amount of asylum seekers entering the UK. I have no such qualms, as long as those who come here respect our laws.

Half of my family are French and live in France (surprise, surprise). Now I know that some of you English have got problems with the French, but there are three things that the French have got sorted that we would do well to emulate on this side of the Channeland they are health, education and housing. Maybe if for my tax dollar I could see that I was getting a similar level of service to the French taxpayer I might even be as proud to be British as they are to be French.

Instead we get to live in 'rip-off-Britain' where we seem to be taxed to the max, but we get not a lot in return. Our health system is a joke, our education system does not educate and housing is a pathetic joke.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

corydoras:

but there are three things that the French have got sorted that we would do well to emulate on this side of the Channeland they are health, education and housing.

If I have to take medicines at all, I would prefer to swallow them in the time-honoured British fashion and not stick them up my bottom, thank you.

And an Englishman's home is his castle (you can keep rented apartments). :)