What is the relationship/difference between...

Rustam Bana

'Does it ever end?'

Nope.

You could probably keep it down to two, but I'm afraid when the bug bites then you absolutely must have a golf bag full.

[ 12. July 2005, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rustam Bana:

Hello Paul.

You obviously know this area very well. I was at Kabini River Lodge some years back and have very fond memories of that place. (For other members: this was the hunting lodge of the Maharaja of Mysore). I would go more often if it wasn't so dear. Were you also involved with Tiger Tops Nepal?

This Sundar Raj you mention, is he the same Sundar who featured so prominently in Quest For A Legendary Fish by Trans World Fishing Team (Andrew Clark, Bob Howitt and Martin Clark)? As it so happens, that's the first book on fishing that I have just finished reading.

To make things more interesting, the friend who recently introduced me to fishing happens to be the son of the person to whom this book was dedicated - Narayan Shetty.

The copy I have on my desk is the one presented by Andrew to the Shetty family after Narayan's passing away.

I may have got this wrong but as I understand it JL&R took away WASI's original stretch, though pre-takeover members are permitted to fish at a nominal daily rate cost. It is only after two or three years that WASI have managed to get this new stretch.

At present WASI have a few guards to patrol the lake and canals but from what I saw, they could do with a few more. They do have walkie-talkies now to keep in touch with the control room and each other, so I suppose that does help. They have nabbed a few poachers as well. If there is anything specific you would like to know please let me know and I can get the information from the Shetty brothers as they are senior members of WASI now.

WASI is in the process of building a one bedroom cottage for it's members near the lake just before one reaches Forbes Sagar dam (from the B'lore end). There is certainly enough evidence of protection in this area because during the three hours I was there I managed to see an unspooked wild boar and a couple of spotted deer playing on the far bank. The partridge population seems to be healthy. Unfortunately, the same goes for the cormorants.

Will e-mail you some of the pictures I took of this place.

Rustam

1)The same Sundar. He fished with me for two months or so in the South in the late 1970s ... then, a year or two later, after being approached by TT and offered a job, I in turn offered Sundar a job as my assistant!

2) Knew Naryan well - lovely man, died far too young. I remember his son from the time when he was just a little boy!

3) I bailed out of TT India & Nepal / JL&R at the end of 1982. I was, to say the very least, NOT happy a few years ago when JL&R took over the WASI water at Sangam after WASI's fraudulent official was finally caught pocketing large sums of money paid to WASI by foreign fishers. WASI had done so much hard work for many many years, then it lost its water - tragic, as well as a VERY POOR SHOW all round, in my opinion.

That's it from me.

[ 12. July 2005, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

After reading about Sundar, I would certainly like to meet him and when I do I will remember you to him.

Narayan has two sons - Nakul and Sahadev. It wasn't too long back that I first met Sahadev at the shooting range and it so happens that his uncle is an old and dear friend of the family. One thing led to another and here I am hoping to catch Mahaseer.

I did hear a couple of members talking about a official who had his hand in the till but from what you say about this and the WASI waters being taken over, I get the impression it was a good many years back.

At present, WASI seems to be headed by one Gen. Ishwaraya - hope I have got the name right.

Will e-mail you a pic of Sahadev Shetty at Forbes Sagar, though it is most likely that it is Nakul you are speaking off.

Rustam

[ 12. July 2005, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Rustam Bana ]

quote:

Originally posted by argyll:

You could probably keep it down to two, but I'm afraid when the bug bites then you absolutely must have a golf bag full. [/QB]

Serves me right for assuming that I could order a rod, leave alone rods, as easily as that.

Have just received an e-mail from Billy Clarke Fishing Tackle stating that Royal Mail will not handle a package longer than 1.8m and that their carriers will not send a parcel to India.

Just when I was begining to narrow down the choices (or so I'd like to believe ) it all goes pear shaped...

[ 12. July 2005, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Rustam Bana ]

Sorry to hear that. I just telephoned Parcel Force to find out what your options would be. Sadly they close at 5.30pm. If you like, I'll give them a call tomorrow morning and see if they can offer advice re the best/cheapest.

Thank you, argyll.

Will have a look at their website first. If I don't find the information, I'll be obliged if you could give them a call.

I have a feeling Billy Clarke was refering to Parcel Force when he said the post office wont take anything over 1.8m

Rustam

I've used Parcel Force to 1.8 but the 1.5 limit, apparently, is down to the handling equipment for postal items at the airports, or so I am told. Maybe a three part rod is the answer, or have the stuff delivered to one of us with a business address so it can then be uplifted by a courier.

Good morning Rustam. I've just spoken to the shop manager at NorthWest Angling Centre http://www.nwac.co.uk who confirmed that Parcel Force would be unable to deliver your rod. The problem is at this end not at yours. If you buy a 2 piece 12 foot carp rod then you'll need an expensive courier service to deliver it. I'm told the cost will be in the region of an arm and a leg. You should be able to get an uptider to India without problems, but a 12 footer will need to be a 3 piece. So sorry I couldnt help further.

Just realised that you may have a similar problem with an uptider too, since the 'break' is not usually into equal lengths. I've just measured my Daiwa uptider tip at 6'6".

I can only suggest you email the larger suppliers, tell them the size restrictions and ask if they have any models that will fit your requirement. Try http://www.nwac.co.uk, http://www.veals.co.uk and also http://www.bosfish.co.uk

Good luck.