What is the relationship/difference between...

Rustam Bana

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im nice to every one Paul....even you! :P oh okay I admit to being a little terse with Charlie Bettel some times but only when he makes a silly comment or something! Ive certainly always acknowledged anything of interest he has to say.And I have been known to upset Paul Selman with my "Crap Yobs" comment but it has only ever been meant in fun and the day Paul finds a cheap source and eventually gets a sense of humour Im sure all will be forgiven! :rolleyes:

Ive only ever met you the once Paul and have always sung your praises about how you went out of your way to dig out some catfish photos and happily pass on the information you had.You are renowned for your knowledge on Masheer (amongst other things) so I was expecting to see you give Rustam some great first hand advice on tackle selection.Unlike my rather limited knowledge attempts and others guess work.

Admitedly we never know quite who we are talking to here and I totally understand anyones wish for confidentiality regards fishing locations but surely a bit of shared information on tackle wouldnt cause any harm? and Im sure many others as well as Rustam would find it both helpfull and interesting.

As Gerry says join the gang mate! after all anyone who can put up with John Bailey calling him a "wonderfull man" and poncing around whilsts into a good fish has got to be a good guy deep down!! :D

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

For what it's worth, I use the following on the Cauvery:

Reels (baitfishing: ABU Ambassadeur 7000 and 10,000c multipliers (are they still made?). Great reels. I dislike using fixed-spools for mahseer baitfishing, but will admit to owning the very largest Shimano Baitrunner (whatever its name and number are etc).

Reels for spinning / plug-fishing: ABU Ambassadeur 6000c and 6500C multipliers. Plus a few of the old-style Baitrunners, 4500 size with the front drag. The modern equivalent - one size larger - should do the job - indeed any good reel with a very good drag will do.

Rods: BIG problem, as I have made all of my own from blanks either made to measure for me or hunted down over the years from many makers and retailers.

Generally though a 9.5 ft to 11 ft uptider built like a tank and capable of casting 2 to 6 ounces should do it for bait - ragi and deadbait (chilwa) fishing. In short, the ideal rod needs a little movement in the tip for casting, and amassive power supply in the middle and butt to really lay into a monster - and it must be UNBUSTABLE.

Spinning: On the Cauvery, I use 9 to 11 ft graphite (or graphite-glass mix) rods with both multipliers and FPs.

I would look to the US market (not Britain) were I looking for such rods now - striped bass, even tarpon, saltwater spinning / bait rods - the Americans make some fantastic blanks and rods for this sort of fishing. Very tough rods - they need to be.

Lines: I NEVER use braid of any type for mahseer. Berkeley Big Game (or even dear old Maxima Chameleon Original - the dark stuff) is just fine. HORRIBLE things can happen when braid meets big mahseer. I haven't had the horror happen to me, but I have seen it happen to others, 'many' times, and its wasn't nice.

So,I have probably really confused you with the above. Wish that I could have said "YOU need a Yamakonzukizaki XLR101-GT" - but I can't!

[ 11. July 2005, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Paul - I dunno about anyone else but it was clear as crystal to me. Thank you.

I would love to know what bad things happen with braid though. Not that I'm ever likely to fish for mahseer but I am a staunch braid user and might need to watch for problems with other species I do target.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

Paul - I dunno about anyone else but it was clear as crystal to me.  Thank you.

I would love to know what bad things happen with braid though.  Not that I'm ever likely to fish for mahseer but I am a staunch braid user and might need to watch for problems with other species I do target.

When you find yourself attached to an INSANELY powerful fish (literally something that probably few of us here could imagine unless they have experienced it), Newt, in rapid, rocky water, there are times (often, many) when you need a little STRETCH. Plus, when a filament-thin no-stretch line like braid hits an obstruction in such conditions, the result's an explosive "KER-POW!" - whatever you do / your drag-setting (and then some).

PS - Imagine landing a fish, then finding the first 40-plus yards of line (mono) scraped up into a 'frilly mess'... I HAVE. As for what happens to braid...

[ 11. July 2005, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Ah so. Makes sense and thanks.

What b/s of the Big Game (great line) or other mono would you recommend then?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Originally posted by Newt:

Ah so. Makes sense and thanks.

What b/s of the Big Game (great line) or other mono would you recommend then? [/quote

Jeez.

18- 20-lb test in open water (unwisely, but then I was looking for fun).

Up to 40 / 50, even 60, in the "I really shouldn't be fishing here" 'graveyard' spots.

Paul, thanks for your thoughts on Mahaseer tackle.

When you say that the rod needs a massive power supply in the middle and butt, are you suggesting that the rod should not bend in the middle? I am new to fishing and not very conversant with the terms used.

What other use can I put such a rod to on the Cauvery and adjoining areas such as Forbes Sagar?

I have recently put in my application to join WASI and they now (recently) have a new stretch in the Shivsamudra area - from Forbes Sagar and stretching up to Pipeline road.

Because of dynamite fishing in the canals, the electricity board is keen to give WASI even more waterways to fish and protect. So if you ever fancy fishing in these parts let me know.

Rustam

P.S.: The invite extends to anyone coming to my neck of the woods. Hopefully, I should have my membership some time this month.

[ 12. July 2005, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Rustam Bana ]