Carp for the Table - No Way

Dales

Could lead to a mix up. You may not get fish with your chips when you order Crap with them.

Maybe you may get served up a brown steaming pile of CRAP :yucky:

Possibly a better tasting option though? :D

Ive eaten carp fried,in stews and smoked and for me they all tasted crap! But my mate (who eats more fish than I do anyway) found them all perfectly palatable! As said personal choice.

Better farmed than wild to stop natural stocks being taken (I wont say depleted because I just couldn't see this being the case in general) But I cant see it becoming that popular other than with immigrants who are already used to them.After all they've been part of the British food scene for centuries and still not caught on in fact technically they've been there and faded away!

As for use as bait then live I think they are great baits for catfish! strong and and the right rigs hard working and long lasting. But dead? well I cant really think of any advantages they would have over any other natural bait but a long list of other baits that would have more advantages!

Moving them,well for years its been ok to knock the use of lives because of the risk of spreading disease (all though there has never been a case of this attributed to anglers bait) its been conveniently ignored that dead fish can carry the same risks even if they have been frozen (all though admittedly if frozen a lesser risk).As most of the "horror" diseases are rife among carp (especially those sourced through the ornamental trade) I too would avoid moving even dead carp (in fact possibly even more dead ones!).

As for names how about leaving that to the fishmongers as up to now they've been most creative with the likes of "Rock Salmon" and "Scampi" etc! Maybe "Pond Cod"?!? :rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe "Pond Cod"?!? :rolleyes:

Perfect! :D

It's all down to tradition isn't it - I mean, who here thinks that the very best treat to save for your once-a-year xmas dinner is turkey? :blink:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Perfect! :D

It's all down to tradition isn't it - I mean, who here thinks that the very best treat to save for your once-a-year xmas dinner is turkey? :blink:

Not I!

Wild Boar pate followed by wild mushroom and wood pigeon soup followed by boned and rolled haunch of Roe deer stuffed with homemade wild mushroom pate, served with homegrown veg followed by homemade Christmas pudding and brandy butter :icecream:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Not I!

Wild Boar pate followed by wild mushroom and wood pigeon soup followed by boned and rolled haunch of Roe deer stuffed with homemade wild mushroom pate, served with homegrown veg followed by homemade Christmas pudding and brandy butter :icecream:

Looks like you have a taste for exotic cuisine, I'm more a bangers and mash man.

When I read Wild Boar Pate, Roe Deer & Wood Pigeon Soup I thought you were listing new boilie flavours :)

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I think that it should be a precondition to getting your licence, that each angler will be required to take at least 24 carp per year from our waters. This could be to either eat themselves, or maybe give to anyone else to eat.

If this was done properly, then the "Eastern Europeans" wouldn't have to go and catch them, anglers would be more in control of when and where fish are taken from, and it would help the ecology of our waterside by reducing their numbers.

But alas, the 'hidden' proposed legislation from the EA will prohibit the taking of any coarse fish, when it is enevitably passed as law.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Anybody eaten grayling?I have heard they taste good.

Absolutely delicious!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Anybody eaten grayling?I have heard they taste good.

Yes better than carp but nothing special .Well to my taste any way.Used to be very popular in some areas I believe.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

And I've just taken delivery of the original 'big pit' reel, an Allcock's Felton Crosswind! Strap that on the 10' Milward 2 piece carp rod and it should be just the job. I'll have to make some little cork beads (camo painted of course :rolleyes: ) to pop my crust up and then it'll be a carp called Bugger for supper B)

Thanks for the useful advice!

you wont like worm drive and that bailarms pretty dire :D use an elite

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson