Banks?

kleinboet

Can somebody who knows about high finances please explain to me why Barclays and HSBC can make obscene profits, while Northen Rock/ LloydsTSB (which we own a percentage of whether we like it or not!) makes obscene losses - or is it nothing to do with high salaries and pensions for failling?

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Can somebody who knows about high finances please explain to me why Barclays and HSBC can make obscene profits, while Northen Rock/ LloydsTSB (which we own a percentage of whether we like it or not!) makes obscene losses - or is it nothing to do with high salaries and pensions for failling?

Barclays made the profit out of it's commercial sector, they keeped out of the banking crises by good management and where not sucked into bad buy outs like Lloyds who were sold a pup by this so called government. If Lloyds had not taken part in 'helping' out the government, they would have made a profit.

Barclays did not take up any offers of taxpayers money. I beleive they done well in taking over the good parts of an american company that was failing, can't remember the name of them, Leyman brothers? We need more companies like them. Another poor decision by this excuse of a government, they bought into a company on our behalf , northern rock, that is loosing money like it's going out a fashion. Even now being 'run' by the government it's bad debt is still rising. It's not high finance, just good housekeeping.

The government took the responsibility of bank control away from the bank of england and gave control to a ngo that they set up. It's the failings of this ngo in controlling the bankings system that has failed, no doubt at another enormous cost to the taxpayer. The conservatives have promised to reverse this. If the current recession is global as reminded constantly by this eeerrrrr government, how come GB is in a worse position than nearly all other countries.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Barclays made the profit out of it's commercial sector, they keeped out of the banking crises by good management and where not sucked into bad buy outs like Lloyds who were sold a pup by this so called government. If Lloyds had not taken part in 'helping' out the government, they would have made a profit.

Barclays did not take up any offers of taxpayers money. I beleive they done well in taking over the good parts of an american company that was failing, can't remember the name of them, Leyman brothers? We need more companies like them. Another poor decision by this excuse of a government, they bought into a company on our behalf , northern rock, that is loosing money like it's going out a fashion. Even now being 'run' by the government it's bad debt is still rising. It's not high finance, just good housekeeping.

The government took the responsibility of bank control away from the bank of england and gave control to a ngo that they set up. It's the failings of this ngo in controlling the bankings system that has failed, no doubt at another enormous cost to the taxpayer. The conservatives have promised to reverse this. If the current recession is global as reminded constantly by this eeerrrrr government, how come GB is in a worse position than nearly all other countries.

Put simply, two different business models with contrasting management. Northern Rock operated on a 'pile-it-high, sell-it-cheap' mentality - they were always the cheapest to offer personal loans and often to less-than-top notch credit-worthy customers. The thing is, they weren't known for 'merchant banking' (apart from their management style!) and hadn't got that to bolster their balance sheet. Northern Rock expanded exponentially using the wholesale money market for their cashflow, unlike Barclays who had a far larger customer and deposit base which meant that their reliance on the vagaries of the wholesale market was far less and cheape for Barclays than Northern Rock as they had a higher S & P rating. They are also far more demanding in the credit worthiness of their borrowers meaning they make more on better quality business than NR did.

NR's problems have ome home to roost as they had a more poisonous loan portfolio than Barclays and now have double the national banking average of defaulting loans as well.

NR relied on commercial borrowing wholesale and then retailing that money to riskier customers at rates lower than more traditional banks would lend. Moreover they had to borrow more expensively and had riskier customers who are now not able to pay the borrowings back and at the same time had only retail banking as a sorce of revenue, unlike both Barclays and HSBC.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

What infuriates me is that many years ago I decided Northern Rock's offers sounded too good to be true, so in all probability they were.

So......

I did not buy shares in Northern Rock

I did not entrust Northern Rock with any of my money.

...and I most certainly did not borrow money from them.

So their crash had absolutely nothing to do with me.

Yet this government has forced me, as a taxpayer, to buy shares in them, with no prospect of selling those shares, and diddly squat chance of ever seeing a dividend.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

What infuriates me is that many years ago I decided Northern Rock's offers sounded too good to be true, so in all probability they were.

So......

I did not buy shares in Northern Rock

I did not entrust Northern Rock with any of my money.

...and I most certainly did not borrow money from them.

So their crash had absolutely nothing to do with me.

Yet this government has forced me, as a taxpayer, to buy shares in them, with no prospect of selling those shares, and diddly squat chance of ever seeing a dividend.

Bet you do have shares in barclays though. :D

I remember seeing the videos of the rats leaving a sinking ship when it was first announced that the preverbial hit the fan. Poor soles.

Next question, there must be someone out there who confirms they voted labour, surly. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Surely the purpose of Banks is to make a profit , why are people moaning when they fulfile this duty.

They are not their to ensure we can all get mortgages or so small business's can secure short term liquidity.

The banks in question did not have to go cap in hand to the government for funding, so if they make huge profits its their business and not ours.

Financial instituations like northern Rock were based on very poor business modules and surprise surprise they failed. As far as I am concerned that's how they should have stayed. Why should the government waste tax payers bailing out this poorly run instituations.

You run a crap business and it goes bust tuff luck, it's survival of the fittest.

Their are exceptions to the rule, when some financial instituations are so important you can not let them fail, but Northern Rock were not one of them.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Dales I agree that there is no such thing as free lunch. However, the government decided (in their wisdom) to intervene (WHY?) and leave us ALL in debt, they also pumped OUR money into Northen Rock (WHY?) and now show obscene losses.

How come, with all the money pumped into the bank, and, with the government's "guidance" they made a loss!! I think they need to employ somebody from HSBC!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Surely the purpose of Banks is to make a profit , why are people moaning when they fulfile this duty.

They are not their to ensure we can all get mortgages or so small business's can secure short term liquidity.

The banks in question did not have to go cap in hand to the government for funding, so if they make huge profits its their business and not ours.

Financial instituations like northern Rock were based on very poor business modules and surprise surprise they failed. As far as I am concerned that's how they should have stayed. Why should the government waste tax payers bailing out this poorly run instituations.

You run a crap business and it goes bust tuff luck, it's survival of the fittest.

Their are exceptions to the rule, when some financial instituations are so important you can not let them fail, but Northern Rock were not one of them.

No argument with the fundamental point at all, however, the government's attitude was that if they allowed NR t go under, it would have a domino effect on the UK banking system - the very system that is largest earner of foreign currency in the UK economy.

Question: Do you believe them?

Ironically, I used to do work for a competitor of NR and 6 years ago they were waiting for them to go 'tits up'.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Dales I agree that there is no such thing as free lunch. However, the government decided (in their wisdom) to intervene (WHY?) and leave us ALL in debt, they also pumped OUR money into Northen Rock (WHY?) and now show obscene losses.

How come, with all the money pumped into the bank, and, with the government's "guidance" they made a loss!! I think they need to employ somebody from HSBC!!

Yes I just don't get it, it's like throwing away good money after bad. If we are going to bale out these banks we should show the door to the people at the top as part of the deal and replace them with some one else. They messed running them up once, so we give them more cash and see if they can get it right next time around.

Plenty of banks are in trouble at the moment, but at the same time many others are doing fine, the government has invested enough in certain banks to be able to change the hierachy, so sack the management and head hunt some one from a better performing bank, like you said HSBC. Maybe if they changed the structure we might have a chance of getting some of the cash back.

Ahhhhh, I forgot they cocked up the whole baling out thing by saying they were not going to interfere with the running and did not want to be bankers. So why the hell pour so much money in to banks if you don't want to be a banker :angry:

What is the point of being the major investor in a company if you dont get involved yourself. If you don't personally want to do the day to day running yourself, you go out and hire the best person you can find. If they do a bad job, you fire them and replace them with some one better.

It is so annoying, seeing some banks doing ok and very little change in the banks the government have bailed out.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

the way to bolster the country would have been to give us the money not give it to gamblers .

if we got £xxxx each some would have spent it giving money to shops who then could pay money to the banks to cover loans OR some would save it giving it directly to banks either way we would benefit and so would everyone else giving it directly to the shysters and gamblers who lost it was foolhardy in the extreme even keeping it under the mattress is better!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson