If you have a problem with next doors cat

corydoras

This will solve a few other problems too. This is in todays paper in Perth

PLANNED new laws to be drafted by December could see all WA cat owners forced to sterilise and microchip their pets.

Jandakot MLA Joe Francis, who is drafting the Bill, said that under the new legislation WA's 184,000 cat owners would have to sterilise and microchip their pets before the animals were six months old.

Mr Francis said the aim of the legislation was to ensure that every cat in WA would be on a national database within a decade, ending the annual euthanasing of thousands of unwanted kittens. He said 14,000 healthy cats were put down last year in WA.

Mr Francis said he would hold talks with veterinarians and animal welfare groups and report his findings to Premier Colin Barnett.

Animal welfare groups have long campaigned for tougher rules on cat ownership.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect that a kick from a 'roo might not do him a lot of good neither.

Probably not, but being as I am able to control him, it is doubtful that we are likely to find. As I say, I will not allow my dogs to go for native fauna, cats do quite enough damage in that respect.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Guest Rabbit
Probably not, but being as I am able to control him, it is doubtful that we are likely to find. As I say, I will not allow my dogs to go for native fauna, cats do quite enough damage in that respect.

Doubt very much that your acceptance of your cat killing dog would get much support over here. I love dogs I have always had a dog around the place, and yes I was a RAF Police Dog Handler so not devoid of knowing the agony of a bite or two. Surely as a owner of staffies a well known breed that is 'up for a scrap' you should not allow your dogs to be some kind of urban weapon against what you consider to be a nuisance? Surely the first rule in dog ownwership is control, how on earth can you boast that your dogs killed someones pet cats is beyond comprehension, no responsible dog owner should allow that.

Dogs do kill, and do kill or maim children or adults, cats although I deplore their taking of wildlife do not, to bolster ones ego through a dog's instinct to kill is pitiful, those that advocate poisioning, setting their dogs on cats or whatever on a site like this should perhaps engage their brain before hitting the keyboards.

I have tried to stay out of topics like this for some time, the abuse is just not worth it, but in this case it was just too tempting :)

Cats won't eat a shrew, I'm not sure if foxes or any other predators eat them after a kill either. Shrews exude a foul tasting substance from glands on their skin.

....and some (not all) species of shrew have a poisonous bite. They have grooved teeth and the poison flows down the groove. Possibly a development of the sebaceous glands you refer to.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Doubt very much that your acceptance of your cat killing dog would get much support over here. I love dogs I have always had a dog around the place, and yes I was a RAF Police Dog Handler so not devoid of knowing the agony of a bite or two. Surely as a owner of staffies a well known breed that is 'up for a scrap' you should not allow your dogs to be some kind of urban weapon against what you consider to be a nuisance? Surely the first rule in dog ownwership is control, how on earth can you boast that your dogs killed someones pet cats is beyond comprehension, no responsible dog owner should allow that.

Dogs do kill, and do kill or maim children or adults, cats although I deplore their taking of wildlife do not, to bolster ones ego through a dog's instinct to kill is pitiful, those that advocate poisioning, setting their dogs on cats or whatever on a site like this should perhaps engage their brain before hitting the keyboards.

I have tried to stay out of topics like this for some time, the abuse is just not worth it, but in this case it was just too tempting :)

Why should I have to tie up MY dog in MY garden when cats belong to other people try to kill MY fish. Am I not allowed to believe that something that encroaches on my property and causes damage to my possessions to be a nuisance? If those cat owners love their cats as much as they claim they should keep them under control. I have not claimed to have set my dog onto any cats. I have said that I control my dog when I am walking him so that he does not attack anything at all. I don't know why you keep reading what is not said or implied in my posts. As far as what I have said getting much support over there, it is really of no concern to me. Cats should not be in this country, they are an introduced predator that has done and still does immeasurable harm to wild life that has little defence against them. So, perhaps you might do well to engage your own brain before succumbing to what you see as an irresistible temptation.

Edited by chevin

got koi in your pond ? only have a dingo ,bit late to point out cats shouldn't be there! even your natives are imports :D

take down that long fence you have and let the wildlife (imports or not) fight it out ,if it wasnt for imported animals (human and others) oz wouldn't be on the map now

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

got koi in your pond ? only have a dingo ,bit late to point out cats shouldn't be there :D

take down that long fence you have and let the wildlife (imports or not) fight it out

Yes mate, I have koi, but no dingo - nice dogs though. Oddly enough I have seen more of them in the US than I have seen here. You are not allowed to keep thm as pets here, but a lot of people have them as pets in the US. I don't know if the fence has been effective at all. Dingos seem to be pretty well all round the country, but we don't see any where I live.

Jandakot MLA Joe Francis, who is drafting the Bill, said that under the new legislation WA's 184,000 cat owners would have to sterilise and microchip their pets before the animals were six months old.

Good idea - I think most people here do that anyway, unless they have a pedigree they intend to breed from.

Good idea - I think most people here do that anyway, unless they have a pedigree they intend to breed from.

Yeah, nothing wrong with breeders of show cats breeding them. They do look after their cats and you don't see them running the streets. Sort of shoots down in flames those who say they can't control their cats.

Unfortunately we have a lot of feral cats and some of them are pretty big and pretty savage. I have seen them when I have been rabbit (also introduced vermin) shooting at night. I've never had a clear shot at one yet so unfortunately I had to resist pulling the trigger. They are certainly big though and probably need more than a .22 to put them down, even with a clean shot.

Edited by chevin

I think some owners of pedigree animals view them as possessions rather than companions - that and the higher risk of theft I think contributes to more of them being confined indoors. Personally, I find keeping a cat indoors equivalent to keeping a bird in a cage, and don't agree with either, but people must do what they think best.