Watch out, there's an Anti about

peter morton

I don't support hunting, but having lived part of my life within the farming / country side, I do see too many blinkered townies with their rose tinted glasses, who do not know what the real world is all about. Yes I have returned to the town, but with I belive with an insight to see both sides of the fence. I enjoy meat, I use to shoot and I will always fish . . for pleasure ( Course )and for the pot ( Game ). With the state of the seas at present I return all my sea fish where 30 years ago I would keep anything ( except Mullet ) worth cooking.

But to the point, which I have made on AN before. It will not take a lot of money to show anglers in a bad light. Whatever the rights and wrongs remember the anti-fir campaign. . . a delightful little Dace and a huge bloody hook . . get the picture. So many people who say "I'm not pro-hunting" mean I'm Sh*t scared that angling will soon attract the anti's once they have destroyed hunting, Shooting, Chicken sexing or whatever country activity they don't understand and have never had to.

And while I'm now in a bad mood . .I don't go to church . . but what the hell ( excuse the pun ) are the Anglican church doing.

OH I HAVE BEEN SO STUPID, we live in a demo'crasy'. . . ah all becomes clear. Um think I'll open another bottle.

Andrew Boyd

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham X,

I assume you are the 'anti' we are all scared of then?

I don't see what is wrong with me making my position clear, after all we are discussing this on the net and we don't know very much about each other what is so wrong with a little background info?

I am not really pro hunting but I am totally pro freedom to do as you wish. I used to shoot and see nothing wrong in killing for the table. I also kill/eat stocked trout but I do not kill wild fish.

And I don't believe hunting should have been banned because a load of 'blinkered townies with their rose tinted glasses' (as Andrew put it) have been force fed pictures of dead foxes. What would the outcome of the vote been if they had been brainwashed with pictures showing the damage foxes can do when they get amoung chickens or perhaps the problems created by urban foxes?

As Andrew says it would be easy to make angling look bad if you are prepared to promote a biased view of it.

My point is that the majority of those who have helped to ban hunting are not vegans living idilic lives and harming nothing! They wear leather clothes, they eat meat, eggs and fish, they use products tested on animals etc. etc. etc. What they do not want to do is stop and think about their own morals because its easier to vote to change someone elses lifestyle than it is to change your own.

Guest sslatter

No PeterK, I'm not the "anti" you're all scared of: he's hiding under your bed, with the communists.

PeterK: "I am not really pro hunting but I am totally pro freedom to do as you wish."

That says it all.

"I'm not really pro-hunting, but.."

There's another quid in my burgeoning coffer.

[ 22. February 2005, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Graham. X ]

Graham X, you really need to think this through. People like you will sit back and allow anything to be banned just because you don't value it. Then you will bleat when something you do value is banned!

If I were sitting here in a red tunic I'd say 'I'm a member of the hunt'. BUT IM NOT. I'll try and make it easier for you......

I'm not pro hunting......but I am anti hunting ban.....

I assume you do actually fish? Fishing is hunting. Its a sport/pastime that is based on our instinct to hunt. We do it because we like to catch fish. Once I have caught a fish it is my responsibility to ensure that it is not harmed and to return it safely to the water but lets not try to fool ourselves about what we do eh?

You made this comment -

'We live in a democracy. The countryside is not just for those who live in it, it's for everybody'.

I don't live in the countryside but I use it whenever I can. I earn enough to go out into the country and enjoy myself whenever I get the chance - so does that give me the right to tell country folk how to live their lives? I think not. I try to respect their ways and fit in. I try to remember that they are still there looking after it in this weather we are now having so that when it suits me I can go out and fish again.....

People like you will do far more harm than good to my sport.

peterK - excellent post

"Lets ban this, cos' I don't like it" - wanna be hitlers.....nuff said!

[ 22. February 2005, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: awaaar ]

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Hi All,

I just have to laugh when I see "We live in a democracy" pop up so frequently in these arguments. Who really believes this?.

The government is voted in by about 23% of the population of the country.

By no stretch of the imagination does it represent the will of the majority of people on any single issue.

This country joined in a war a little while ago against the will of the majority in this country , so how can the government possibly represent the will of the people, or majority.

Democracy does not exist in this country and more importantly does not work as an ideal, any more than communism can.

Why do they not work as ideals?. Because the majority will always be fooled by the minority into thinking that they are represented.

Wake up! and stand up! as an individual, Make absolutely sure that no one takes away your individual rights. No matter what they are.

Chipping away at the majority of an individuals rights is the only way that a minority can gain control over a majority. A flock of sheep are easily controlled by one dog.

……………..Liam

"Wisdom is the knowledge of how little we know"

Barbelangler.co.uk

quote:

PeterK: "I am not really pro hunting but I am totally pro freedom to do as you wish."

That says it all

Yes Graham that does say it all.

This is exactly the sort of comment that would get trotted out in a; tolerant, liberal, democrasy thank god.

Guest sslatter

I agree, A Worm.. if he wants to promote a libertarian society, I defend his right to have his say, although I completely disagree with this old tired non-argument. You can't let people do anything they want, just because they like it..

[ 22. February 2005, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Graham. X ]

Graham X, you really need to think this through

Now you really are asking for the impossible. You'd have to completely reprogramme him first in order to get him to think and that means tinkering with the wiring round the back.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'