Question. To smack children (or not)

corydoras

I have read a story on the BBC News web site today about Number 10 being against making it illegal for parents in England and Wales to smack their kids. Read here for the full story.

I think that it is already to smack your children in Scotland, but I am not sure.

Now don't get me wrong, I think that parents should be permitted to smack their kids, within reason. Both of mine know what it is like to have a hot @ss when they have misbehaved, but I doubt that I will smack either of them again. My daughter is nearly 14 now and I think that there is something 'off' about a man of 44 smacking a girl of 14 years even if she is his daughter and my son, aged 8 is so well behaved that I cannot remember the last time he merited a smack, but it was at least 3 years ago.

When does legitimate parental control become physical abuse?

[ 21. June 2004, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My three brothers and I used to get hit with a large wooden spoon as well as a leather belt when we misbehaved. I don't recall any real damage, just the occasional red mark and a smarting pain for a couple of minutes. None of us have turned out to be criminals or pyscotics (sp) or anything like that. :)

I do smack my son and daughter on the bum or top of their legs, but it's only on the rare occasion that i've found it to be needed.

[ 21. June 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: *Anthony* ]

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

I know what you mean Anthony, on the very odd occasions they (my boys) found my stash and smoked it, I turned to smack.

jokes aside, I used to smack my first batch of kids, I was a young father with no roll model of my own.

the second batch of kids turned out much more loving and better in my opinion for not being smacked, ever.

so if I was going to vote, I'd say no to smacking, or pot for that matter.

I haven't smacked my kids yet (7 & 2) and I hope I never have to, but, if warranted, I would expect to be able to without any fear of comeback by some liberal authority.

IMO seeing the behaviour and morals of the current younger generation (by and large) is testiment to the dangers of this type of thinking.

Paul

Paul_D:

IMO seeing the behaviour and morals of the current younger generation (by and large) is testiment to the dangers of this type of thinking.

Those morals or the lack of them were inherited from the generation that went before.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

At only two years old I should hope not.

quote:

Those morals or the lack of them were inherited from the generation that went before.

Inherited or taught by them?

quote:

At only two years old I should hope not.

So would I and, like I said, I haven't...others do though!

Paul

Inherited, taught, whatever you want to call it each generation passes on its morals and values to the next generation. Judging by the state of things MY generation has not done a very good job on the whole.

I think that to remove the threat of a smack, would be wrong.

Which is what would happen if it were made illegal.

Already you have little scrotes at Schools, telling the Teachers, "you can,t touch me" etc. etc. :mad:

If it were possible to do a comprhensive survey of parenting methods over the last 20 years, I,m sure the incidences of smackings have reduced anyway.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

You are probably right Corydoras. My wife and I are and will be doing our best to try to impress lifes morals and values as best we can into our daughters but we don't need other people telling us how to go about it. Advice, certainly, but not with threats.

Paul