Hover mowers

Tyke

I live near Grimsby (Louth) and we got a petrol mower from B and Q for about £75 - it's ran for over a year, never needed oil and it's good on petrol (compared to my last one), collection bin holds plenty and the thing has got some power (When I remember to cut my mums lawn it's often a foot high!!).

At £75 it's a cracking buy. All the engines in the sub £200 range all look the same on petrol mowers and I doubt there is a great deal of difference in quality between them!

Ian W

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The petrol ones are nearly all Briggs & Stratton engines. As they come in kit form its advisable to use some type of thread lock on screws and bolts they tend to come loose.Must say they are easy to maintain.

A wise man learns by a fools mistakes, a fool by his own

I've just got me the Qualcast / Bosch for the new season and a fine bit of kit it is too for the money.

How long it will last......?

(But my old flymow leccy 'roller' did last 10 years!!!)

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

i've got a 23 year old flymo still going strong

, you could always put down astroturf expencive at first very low maintenance no cutting.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

tyke, get a goat!..tie it to a stake in the middle of your lawn to get that poncy circular effect on the grass,... or... lay wires up and down the lawn, to attach the goat for the profesional "wembly turf" effect!!

top tip mate!!

best wishes dave! :D:D:D

On my third Flymo, they have all be given to me by the purchasers who got fed up with the poxy things. Always need a bit of DIY to keep them going once they have reached their second season. Not always easy as some parts ( electrical trigger control etc ) are snap fitted in the factory to make repairs difficult.

Pays to keep the air vent's clear not only to allow the thing to hoover but the motor to remain cool.

Andrew Boyd

If you want real longevity, get a Hayter.

The one I use now, my Dad bought second hand in 1971. After he died in 1975 it stood unused in an open lean to for about eight years until I got a bigger garden and took it on.

I put petrol in when it needs it and I did clean the air filter once, other than that I've done nothing to it and it still goes OK, a bit cranky to start but easy enough when you have the knack.

A pukka bit of kit. :)

In reponse to Tyke

Louth, ahh not much to do other than drink. A small town that for many years boasted the most pubs per head of population (probably most fishermans paradise).

I'll check the mower in the morning - it's not a major brand, but with most manufacturers using the same engine it makes you wonder if it really matters?

Argos are doing a nice looking McCulloch 3540P as well at £99 - you can probably pick them up at Alexandra dock over the counter - They also do a Challenge Petrol mower (similar spec to the McCulloch) at £80.

Ian W

a lot of the cheap petrols use a plastic deck.try to avoid them as they shatter if a stone hits it.some do have a metal deck but i cannot remember which is which.

later guys i`m going fishing