Bring back River Bailiffs

benacre

There has to be a big change in EA offices before we ever see regular Bailiffs on the banks. Years ago there was a river bailiff in charge of each stretch of river here in the Norfolk Broads. He was responsible for fish care, licence checks and confiscating tackle.

Even getting hold of an EA officer when I see and report anglers fishing my local river in the closed season is impossible.

Perhaps local anglers could be given an honorary bailiff job and paid a retainer to carry out river bailiff jobs.

We have to blame the government and Police who think that angling crimes are not important.

The only way forward is to re invent the river bailiff job and employ someone with a boat to patrol and deal with freshwater fish care all year round.

EA staff need to get off their backsides and come and see the anglers

I'm lucky to go fishing everyday (when the FPO allows me)

East Anglian Fishing Forum

http://www.easternanglers.co.uk/

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fish care?? thats a new one ,all i have seen on rivers are license checkers for monetary reasons.

the ones not looking at licences were taking fish by the bucket load ensuring you wont catch anything license or not

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

fish care?? thats a new one ,all i have seen on rivers are license checkers for monetary reasons.

the ones not looking at licences were taking fish by the bucket load ensuring you wont catch anything license or not

Holiday and occasional anglers cause so much fish suffering that staff must be able to patrol the banks and advise the anglers to stop using dry rags to hold fish, fish with balanced tackle and safe unhooking.

I'm lucky to go fishing everyday (when the FPO allows me)

East Anglian Fishing Forum

http://www.easternanglers.co.uk/

Definately need some kind of policing etc. but isn't that what we pay our EA licence fee for?

Saw lots of Polish down my stretch again, actually said to a few that their wasting their time as there's no fish left, just fgot a few grunts as replies lol

Also caught a shad on the bottom float fishing....nice to see they'd used a trace, only problem is that it was tied onto what looked like 5lb line

This is the state of affairs...I am no longer going to fish my local river

Its a sad state of affairs really. Even if we had river bailiffs i really cant see how one man would stand a chance against organised gangs of thieves. As anglers its very frustrating as we really cant do a lot. OK we can keep our eyes open and report any potential problems but its really down to the EA and the police to deal with the issues. But most of the time they havent got the man power or the time to worry about a few fish.

We have seen fish stocks destroyed in some areas by thieving EUs and no body does anything about it. Maybe its time to start some sort of campaign to try and educate the above rather than just keep moaning about it.

My thoughts on education may differ from yours mind :D

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

This whole issue is a nightmare. I've never known anything to send such ripples through the sedate world of angling before. My personal view is that everyone should be free to act like adults and given the benefit of the doubt, but if that is abused, they ought to be dealt with swiftly and severely. The trouble is that fish theft by EU nationals isn't being dealt with properly, which leaves anglers frustrated and angry, and leads to some of us lumping everyone from a large chunk of Europe together under the banner of theiving scum.

To solve it we need proper enforcement of the laws that are already in place. That would deal with the theives and leave the rest of the law-abiding anglers (wherever they're from) free of pre-judgement. The current level of xenophobia is worrying for several reasons, and not something I want to be associated with as an angler.

But proper enforcement costs money and time, and with an economy teetering on the edge it's a luxury we cannot afford.

I really don't know how this will end up, but I hope that people thinking of sorting it out themselves think of the bigger picture before doing anything stupid.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

it isnt johnie foreigner depleting stock here its the EA themselves ,twice this year i'v seen them electro fishing the wey and removing fish ,all they put back is the trout that the fly fishermen stock :angry:

it seems to be a "right" some load of idiots can strip rivers of fish so they can take them elsewhere ,who gives a toss what reason they have its wrong.

not seen a fish for years from either of the bridges.

instead of buying fry and bringing them on in stock pools they merely rob peter to stock paul its ridiculous ,if you read that xx number of fish died in a polution incident you can bet other places are going to be stripped bare to restock it :angry:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hopefully lots of anglers will be responding to the Environment Agency consultation on this issue

see: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/stati...ogo%29final.pdf

They are having a series of open meetings around the country, so it might be an idea to see if anything is happening around your way.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hopefully lots of anglers will be responding to the Environment Agency consultation on this issue

see: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/stati...ogo%29final.pdf

They are having a series of open meetings around the country, so it might be an idea to see if anything is happening around your way.

I've read most of the comments from anglers to that 'consultation'.

It doesn't make good reading, (unless you're one of the anti' groups).

No logic in most of them, totally selfserving in their attitude.

Comments like, 'No fish should be removed. Fish aren't for eating, they're for catching'.

Then there's the 'I believe that there should be a total ban on fish removal', followed by 'unless they're to be used as bait for preds'. :huh:

It looks like the ban will become law, and will play right into the hands of the anti's.

We have laws now that can't be enforced, so how will they enforce new, stricter laws?

It will only effect those who have always obeyed the law, it will have no effect on those that don't.

Most just look at it from an angling point of view, with scant regard for any other environmental concerns.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John